ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a few problems with my wheeler, 1, takes forever to start in cold, yes i choke it, and it will only sputter when u hold it wide open, like its flooded, but its not, starts fine in warm weather tho. Secondly, battery goes dead all the time, i keep it on a maintainter to keep the charge up so i can ride it, if its dead, no start, idk if its the stator or rectifier, or what the heck it is... any one had any of the same problems with a fix? desperatly need help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bad Charging on AC 300

I just developed the same problem on my 2000 Arctic Cat 300. Dealer tells me its either the regulator or Stator. Stator is $360, but I'd like to figure out how to assess the problem myself. Any ideas? My problem occurred when I was using my winch alot to power my plow during this snowstorm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You know I just put my battery on a charger and its fine...no $$$ at all. If I use my winch alot with out alot of driving around at higher RPMs to recharge it, then I put it on a charger, but so far so good,:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
unhook the battery

I always have unhooked the negitive terminal when charging any small engine battery. I've had problems burning out the regulator/rectifier by charging the battery while hooked up to the wiring harness. here are the specifications and procedure to check the charging/magnito coils with a multi meter.

Magneto Coil Resistance
(trigger)
(charging)
84-126 ohms (black/yellow to
green/white)
0.44-0.66 ohm
(yellow to yellow)
Magneto Coil Peak
Voltage
(trigger)
(charging)
3.12-4.68 volts (black/yellow to
green/white)
30-45 volts (yellow to yellow)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys please help I just got a 2000 artic cat 300 4x4 wont start first issue when battery is connected starter keeps cranking over engine disconnected the srarter switch on the left handlebar still cranks over when battery is hooked up second issue no spark [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2002, was really hard to start cold, needed full choke, and choke held on for a while. Had the carb rebuilt and it starts much easier. Rebuild kit is $40

1 - 6 of 6 Posts