ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am thinking about getting my 5 year old a 50 cc ATV for her birthday. I really do think she will love it. We want to buy new but are debating which one... Note that her younger brother would take over after she is done with it.

The ones that we were thinking about are
Kawasaki kfx50
SUZUKI QUADSPORT Z50
Polaris outlaw 50
YAMAHA YFZ50

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just make sure you talk to them about slowing for turns and using bodyweight. I'd look for one that
has a throttle restrictor. And, of course, wearing ALL the gear should be mandatory.

Mad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just make sure you talk to them about slowing for turns and using bodyweight. I'd look for one that
has a throttle restrictor. And, of course, wearing ALL the gear should be mandatory.

Mad
My friends little would probably die if you told him to slow down. Honestly his driving both impresses me and scares me . He’s 9 and owns a 250cc Kawasaki bayou.
Hello all,

I am thinking about getting my 5 year old a 50 cc ATV for her birthday. I really do think she will love it. We want to buy new but are debating which one... Note that her younger brother would take over after she is done with it.

Kawasaki kfx50
SUZUKI QUADSPORT Z50
Polaris outlaw 50
YAMAHA YFZ50

Honestly I’d recommend finding a used gio 90cc for a 5 year old . Parts are cheap and so are the bikes .my friends 3 year old has a 90 cc

·
Registered
115 Posts
There's a big difference between a 5 year old and a 9 year old. I agree on looking for a 90c.c or smaller.
The proper gear is probably the most important thing. My son started riding dirt bikes when he was 4.
After the first ride, he insisted we take the training wheels off. He never looked back.

Mad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I appreciate the advice. What i am really looking for is advice on which ATV. Do you have a recommendation on brand?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you plan to keep it awhile, you can't go wrong with Yamaha, Honda etc
I guess I can’t argue over that . And if it’s new you don’t have to worry about what other people have done to it. I like used myself Mostly because I can’t afford a new one . If I could I’d go new in a heartbeat but it would be Honda or Yamaha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

Kawasaki kfx50
SUZUKI QUADSPORT Z50
Polaris outlaw 50
YAMAHA YFZ50

Consider installing a remote ignition limiter. This is just the first one I came up with, but there may be more affordable and better units.
Remote Engine Shut Off for 12V & Non-12V Vehicles | BMI Karts And Parts
Let me leave you with this video to drive home the point of why to install the shut off switch.
5 year old girl huge ATV crash - YouTube (ok, I don't think that was really huge, but you get the point)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you all. I appreciate the advice. What i am really looking for is advice on which ATV. Do you have a recommendation on brand?
yes...I would go with the Suzuki 50. 20 years ago, my 5 year old learned on the ancient but well-kept used LT50 I found for him. you might consider buying used as well. Something made by the bigger companies (Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat and Polaris) will mean you can find parts and service much faster than some of the off-brand companies. After riding for about 2-3 years I graduated him up to a Honda Fourtrax 90, then two to three years later a Suzuki LT160, and two to three years later a Suzuki LT250. He was a very skilled and experienced rider by the time he got the 250, and had no problems keeping up with me and my buddies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts