ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks I have a 2008ish polaris 500 that ran like a dream but was recently in a garage fire. Now besides being disfigured it won't run right. I am attached to this quad though so I want to get it going again. Currently it starts and idles decently but when you give it some throttle it bogs down and smokes like a chimney. After it warms up it doesnt like to run at all. This is after cleaning the carb and draining the fuel tank. After the fire all the gas turned almost into a jelly! Im just looking for some help on what the fire might have damaged and what I can do to fix it. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would get a cheap small universal gas tank and run a line with fresh fuel to the carb. this would eliminate the atv gas tank having still some molasses in it.

if the problem persists, then the carb should probably be cleaned again. get a carb kit and replace the jets, etc.

what colour is the smoke?

check coolant level

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree with everything Valley Wrenching said. When you say you cleaned the carb, did you remove all
the jets and clean them ? Now, did you also make sure that the PASSAGES they sit in are also clear ?
The carb body itself could still be plugged. And I'm assuming you replaced the air filter and cleaned the air box ?

Mad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I soaked the jets in carb cleaner and blew everything out with compressed air, verifyed fluid went through each passage. The smoke seems gray, I've attached a video to how it runs. The airfilter needs to be replaced but im going to wait to do that, for now im running it without one. I have also used a water bottle gas tank to rule that out. Something curious is when the airbox is not attached it runs much better, also I notice when I give it throttle if I hold my hand infront of the carb intake my hand gets wet with gas... not sure if these slide carbs are supposed to do that.

Heres a link to a video

·
Registered
345 Posts
If it runs better with no air box that indicates its rich. Same with holding your hand over the intake.
Have you looked at the carb slide diaphragm ( assuming it has one). Maybe it got partially melted.

Mad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it runs better with no air box that indicates its rich. Same with holding your hand over the intake.
Have you looked at the carb slide diaphragm ( assuming it has one). Maybe it got partially melted.

Mad
Yes I think it is rich too, the diaphram is in one peice but im wondering if its not operating as well as it should be. In the middle of raising the slide theres a bit of resistance, but It does go up fairly easy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
On some carburetors there is a small O ring under the float valve. If that got melted it can cause
rich running. I wonder if yours has one ?

Mad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts