ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
my 96 yamaha kodiak wont hold battery, its had a new battery,when its running it puts out 13.7 volts which i think is about right and i dont know what the problem could be. if any one has any ideas please tell :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
start by checking the regulator with an ohm meter if you are getting voltage there could be a stator issue and thats expensive good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
96 Kodiak won't electric start

The charging system is probably good if you have 13.7 vdc at the battery when it is running. What is the voltage at the bat when the machine isn't running? If it isn't 13.2 static you may have a problem with the battery. You may have a problem with the rectifier/regulator. With the input voltage at 13.7 I kinda doubt it though, I have seen rec/reg failures that are a leak back from the battery. This is case of the battery getting charged but leaking away while it is hooked up. To check this out take you meter, I hope it will measure milliamps, turn off the main switch, unhook the negative bat cable and attach the leads of your meter between the neg cable and the batt, if there is ANY current flow you have a problem. a stock machine should have NO current flow with the main switch in the off position. The most common cause of this problem I have seen if accessories added on, I saw this many times with winch installs and cell phone chargers. But back to the issue, almost allways it was a poor battery, or loose connectors, corrosion/rust under ground lugs or the rect/reg. You appear to have adequate VDC to the bat. Have you had the batt load tested? Probably ought to do that! Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts