ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use a 1986 moto4 80 engine to replace a 02 raptor 80 engine. Stator connectors are different. Will newer style stator assembly bolt right up and can I switch final drive gear to use the older engine? Anyone ever do this?

· Registered
518 Posts
Highly unlikely. They change small details every year just to prevent that sort of thing, even on very similar bikes.
Most race bikes have tiny flywheels and stators, trail bikes have bigger flywheels(for the flywheel effect), and big stators generally. Even if you get the flywheel and stator to fit in there and run with somewhere near the right timing, the bike won't haave any flywheel effect and will sound harsh and lack low end power. Easier I think to change the bike's ignition system to suit the new(old) motor.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess when the time comes to do it I will find out. I have faith it will work being that they used the same engine for 30+ years. Stator plate is identical. Basically just putting newer stator parts in older engine

· Registered
518 Posts
Yeah the stator and plate is the same... and the crank is the same... but the flywheels are different. The key could be positioned differently, and the magnets might be positioned differently.. It would be best to swap the flywheel with the stators.

· Registered
518 Posts
You might find that the trigger coil puts out a pulse that's the opposite direction to the original, and so not fire the cdi, or, the magnets can be reversed and so not get enough pulses and so voltage before the next trigger.. My sons have played around doing what you are wanting to do and it doesn't always work straight off.. You might have to swap some wires, or the cdi unit.

All good fun and learning though..

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I put the engine in. Switching stator flywheel neutral switch and changed yoke on final drive gear. Runs idles smooth. Engine breather is different size and brake pedal hits engine case. Cut piece out of brake pedal gusset and all is good. Reduce hose size to fit breather. Only problem is engine has some top end noise that a valve adjustment does not fix. Has Powe and sounds good under load tho

1 - 12 of 12 Posts