ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, my 2001 artic cat 500 keeps dying and I can't figure out why :(

The fan is constantly on, as opposed to just going on when the engine is hot. The BRAND NEW, fully charged batter drains out while the quad is running, i'm thinking because the fan is always on but I really have no clue.

Where should I start looking for problems? I read it could be the "regulator/reactifier", should I run out and buy a new one ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a good possibility that it is the regulator/rectifier, but I would check the voltage output of the charging system first. Fully charge your battery and then install it in the ATV and start the ATV. Use a voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery. It should be at least 14-14.5 volts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting 12v off the battery once installed.

If it isn't the regulator/rectifier that's at fault, what do you guys think would be the second most likely culprit ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm getting 12v off the battery once installed.

If it isn't the regulator/rectifier that's at fault, what do you guys think would be the second most likely culprit ?
If not the regulator/rectifier, then probably the stator. If the ATV was running, it should have put out at least 14-14.5 volts. Turn the headlights on with the engine running and see what it puts out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts