ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this four wheeler yesterday. The people that had it before ran it hot. Seems to have blown head gasket when I drained the oil it was pretty milky. Secondly they tried to fix it and couldn’t figure out and there are some bolts missing or stripped from some parts that need them (cylinder head) So my question is where is the year model in this thing? They weren’t exactly sure. When I google the model number there is about 7 Klf400bs. The later 97-99 year models Diagrams look close but I would like to know for sure so when I order what I need I get the right thing. Any help is appreciated. Also at the front handle bars under the plastics I found a oil gas mix tank and I’m trying to figure out why it’s there to my knowledge it’s a four stroke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh boy! you have a water cooled 1994 model; I think. Your milky oil is water leaking into the oil; could be at the head gasket or at the water pump; located at front left of engine; rubber pipes ( 1&1/4 inch) lead to cylinder & radiator. Your tank up top is header tank ;track the pipe. To do a job on the water pump you must replace pump bearings as well as seal.To do it you must take off LH cover off engine.Godzilla sells the parts & has good exploded diagrams. Check out the camshaft bearings & cam followers; I could not find these new when I did mine. I dressed up the followers but it stillruns a bit noisy. Depending on your skills you may need a bike shop to re-thread your stripped threads,. Also check camshaft bearing ; if these are stuffed you are up the proverbial creek! I could go on & on good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts