ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone im interested in starting to ride atvs, ive never rode one before and would like to ask if a 400cc or 450cc sport quad would be to much for me to learn with

im just doing simple trails nothing crazy just want one to enjoy the scenery

im 5’10 220lbs btw

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just like motorcycles, it's up to the rider to make it safe. You can hurt yourself on a 50cc quad if you're not
careful. Weighing 220 would make a 400 seem ok. Take it slow, don't try to haul *** and hit jumps. Stay off steep hills. Don't crosstrack on hillsides. You need to learn how to use bodyweight and moving around on the unit to
keep it on its wheels. Keep your brain engaged. Take your time and you should be fine.

Mad

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think 400-450 is a good size for you. I’m 170 lbs 5’5 and use a 350 don’t have an issue and can handle my friend’s 700 grizzly. Mind you I’d rather the 350 I just feel safer on it , big machines can be intimidating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback, im not trying to go top speed in the sports quad im just trying to get something that size to learn into.. im new to manual shifting and as Madd siad, ill be the one that will know how fast i go. I just dont want something that is way to powerfull when i just want something to go easy trailing and not some crazy professional terrain.. but want a sports quad because of how they look 😎😎

·
Registered
112 Posts
Keep in mind that many sport type quads are tuned for speed, meaning you have to keep up on
maintenance. Other types are more " Use it and forget it" There are some quads that bridge the gap
like Yamaha Blaster series.

Mad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts