ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into getting an ATV, live close to windrock, so why not :). one buddy has an old honda 350 foreman 4x4, the other has an arctic cat 400. I like the cat for the ground clearance. just basically doing "research" right now. makes for a better buying decision. and that way I'll know a deal when I find one (and hopefully from you guys, which ones to stay away from). used is not a problem, as long as it was taken decent care of. I dont need the biggest baddest thing going. just something to do some trail riding on, that i can strap a cooler to. Im 6'1" and 230lbs, so I need something that will pull me though :) what do you guys suggest???? thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A great place to find some good deals is to check in your local traders guide. Honda's are generally pretty reliable but we have never had any problem with our arctic cat. Don't worry about size too much, i am 6'1" 210lbs. and our arctic cat 300 has plenty of power to haul me where ever i need to go. Its always a pretty good idea to pick one of the brands that your buddies ride that way if (god forbid) you do have problems with your machine then they might have some insight and know how on that brand. You should be able to find a nice machine for the price cap that you have. Don't be afraid to throw out a deal that you have found everybody here will let you know if they think its a good deal or not. Hope that helps you in your decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not bad but a little too far away from home for me. I've found a bunch of 350s kawi prairie 360, yama 350, a suzuki eiger for around the 4K cap (new left overs). also saw a clean 04 650 yamaha 4x4 with the big tires/rims, and all the goodies for 4500 obo. Im a month or two out from purchasing. Im going to have to get rid of a toy before I get another one. running out of room in the garage LOL. more than likely going to be the "gas saving 2nd car". plus I have an 03 F150 4x4 I bought new that does not have 30,000 miles on it yet :eek:. time to drive it with an ATV in the back to windrock.:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Kawasaki has been making the 360's for quite some time now and they are very solid machines. Same thing with the Yamaha 350's but they are geared real low and don't seem to have much top end. (just my experience, my neighbor has one.) I am guessing that the Yamaha with the tires/wheels is a grizzly which is what almost everybody that i ride with rides. (including my dad) No problems to speak of with them either. The good thing about the Grizzly is it has both high and low, where the 350 Yamaha only has one forward gear. Just one guys opinion. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks hunter. i was told the same thing today from a guy at work. glad you could confirm it. he said I need one with a hi/lo option for sure, and ground clearance was the name of the game to him. I dont really need a ton of raw top end speed on an ATV, i'd get myself killed quick. as long as I could hang with my buddy's 400 cat I'd be good :) the old foreman my other friend has is really slow anyway, from what i remember. I'm just looking to do some trail riding with friends, and as far as getting one like my friends, Im the mechanically inclined one of the group. the other guys ( i think) only know how to put gas in them, and maybe change the oil. the red blooded, chest thumping, scraped knuckled american male is a dying breed im afraid. I'm proud to be a surviving member LOL. thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts