ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soi bought a 1987 trx3504x4 (full time). It came with no rear plastic and missing a few hard to find parts. It has brand new tires has great spark but has been sitting not running for who knows how long. So when I roll it off the trailer I hauled it home with,the front end diff has a clunk-clunk sound coming from it. So, I get it in garage knowing it's probably a gear broke or bad bearing. Taking the filler cap off the front end diff final drive to see rust colored diff fluid. Take the drain plug out of the rear differential and to no surprise,more rust colored stinky diff fluid. After taking apart front diff , thoroughly cleaning and replacing bearings and seals thought, where is the water getting into diff? Bad seals? O-rings? I'm sure this machine has been submerged a time or a thousand and water got in. Is just putting new seals and gaskets going to keep the water out for my 14yr old boy? For now, the front end is complete, on to the rear end!! Any wise folks to this machine or someone knows where to find some parts for her would greatly be appreciated!!!
Parts in need:
Carb to airbox boot
Lid to airbox
Rear fender. Fuel pump holder A&B

·
Registered
18 Posts
Soi bought a 1987 trx3504x4 (full time). It came with no rear plastic and missing a few hard to find parts. It has brand new tires has great spark but has been sitting not running for who knows how long. So when I roll it off the trailer I hauled it home with,the front end diff has a clunk-clunk sound coming from it. So, I get it in garage knowing it's probably a gear broke or bad bearing. Taking the filler cap off the front end diff final drive to see rust colored diff fluid. Take the drain plug out of the rear differential and to no surprise,more rust colored stinky diff fluid. After taking apart front diff , thoroughly cleaning and replacing bearings and seals thought, where is the water getting into diff? Bad seals? O-rings? I'm sure this machine has been submerged a time or a thousand and water got in. Is just putting new seals and gaskets going to keep the water out for my 14yr old boy? For now, the front end is complete, on to the rear end!! Any wise folks to this machine or someone knows where to find some parts for her would greatly be appreciated!!!
Parts in need:
Carb to airbox boot
Lid to airbox
Where are you located

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where are you located
Parts in need:
Carb to airbox boot
Lid to airbox
I have this exact bike. It definitely will go a lot of places you wouldn’t expect a little machine like this to go. It really is a beast for its size.
I’ve run into some issues with it backfiring and missing at high throttle. Came out of nowhere. Before that problem came along I was impressed with its performance.
Finding parts for it is like finding hens teeth so be prepared to spend a lot of time on line searching. once you get it going take it out and challenge it. You’ll be impressed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Parts in need:
Carb to airbox boot
Lid to airbox
Parts in need:
Carb to airbox boot
Lid to airbox
I'm in NW Indiana
Where are you located
Where are you located

·
Registered
22 Posts
my experience with Hondas has been similar, only it dealt with the crappy drum brakes on my 2wd 1995 fourtrax 300. They always flooded with water whenever they were submerged no matter how many times the seals were replaced. Finally went to a Suzuki Vinson with all Disc brakes. However, I never had water intrusion into the "differential" housings (it's not really a differential but a final drive, at least for the rear) and I rode my 300 to hell and back more than a few times, so my guess is that once you replace those seals they'll hold up fairly well. It's been a few years since I've worked on Hondas, but if you'll buy any current issue of DirtWheels Magazine, there will be a ton of ads for parts dealers and supply houses that are still in business. You might also look to Maier plastics for replacement fenders, they have carried replacement fenders for less popular models for a long time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jared, that was cool of you, man...

Honda of Troy AKA Yamaha of Troy was a parts supplier I used for many years always with good results, if they're still in business I'd give them a shout. Their site had a microfiche which was really handy in trying to figure out the parts I needed to order

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jared, that was cool of you, man...

Honda of Troy AKA Yamaha of Troy was a parts supplier I used for many years always with good results, if they're still in business I'd give them a shout. Their site had a microfiche which was really handy in trying to figure out the parts I needed to order
I did a quick search. Looks like Honda of try is still operating. And it can be a pain searching for plastics. And having the same bike I got curious lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts