ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started looking into buying some acreage and building my own trails. Id like to know if anyone has information on first building them and also if anyone has started a their own business letting people ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trail building:
-build bridges over streams and creeks, EPA demands it.
- it's not how much property you have that's important, it's the type of property you have and how you manage the layout of the trails that's important.
- some of the best trails can be made with you, your quad, a chainsaw and a chain.
- take your time and really explore the property, make notes and mark property features with a gps and then connect the dots.
-make trails "one way"...start here...ends here, don't make alternative routes that branch off main route (causes confusion, stress and wrecks) less decision making = better riding experience.

Letting people ride your trails:
- best way to do this is to hold events, maybe 3 a season. Don't make the trails open everyday all season...being open everyday or every weekend is nice for riders, but it's bad for you, more work, more time and you make way less money...period.
-when doing an event there's is a huge list of things to cover...i'm not going to list them, just realize it's not, open gate, take money, everyone has fun, go home and count money.
-get insurance to cover each event and have liability waivers for riders to sign.
-get friendly will local EMS/Fire Dept. (design emergency routes for med staff to enter parts of the trail system to reach injured riders)
-make list of rules...hire the right people to enforce those rules. There's having fun and then there's being stupid...stupid people get innocent people hurt and your reputation smeared.
-good events grow VERY fast...be prepared.
-it's like any other business..."tough". But if you love it, you'll be doing what you love.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts