ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 2011 quad. Picking it up next weekend. It is either the 500 Spotsman or the 550 Griz. The griz is about 2G more so that is the reason I am leaning towards the Polaris. I like the idea of EFI but not sure I like to the tune of 2G. I am getting a winch and plow with the bike and will use it to hunt, plow my driveway, haul fire wood and a little trail riding. Although is will see mud I am not going bogging with it and I am pretty meticulous with my toys as far as maintenance and routine upkeep.

I am looking for opinions on why I want the Griz over the Sportsman and, considering my use, what you recomend?

Thanks - Bob Urban

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't think of as of a good reason. Don't get me wrong the griz is a very good bike but for what you plan to use it for and the 2k difference..I would go for the Polaris. I still have my old 2000 expidition has over 7K and never had a problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I cant think of any either. Grizz is a nice bike, and so is the Polaris. And buying the Polaris, adding a winch and plow, and you will come in less that the Grizz.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Polaris

I just bought a 2012 polaris 500 HO and love it.
I owned a 250 polaris first then a 400 sportsmen which I sold for a good buck even after 7 years and alot of miles. I lived in PA at the time and clocked up over 10,000 miles! cannot go wrong with Polaris in my opinion. I use mine exactly how you use yours. I wanted EFI also but am very happy with the carb model. Choke works real easy (on top now not under side) I pull the choke part way out it warms up in 30 seconds and I am off. I actually start it on the trailer while unstrapping it and it is always ready. I would say EFI would be great for higher elevations but I do not need it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stick with the polaris i was in the same boat when looking at 2011's and i talked to several different salesman and also talked to several bike mechanics the sportsman 500 ho is the best 4x4 quad in its class and when compared to thr grizz most of the mechanics told me that when locking it in 4x4 the grizzly only "sometimes locks all 4 wheels and that it was a front right wheel and a back left wheel that would lock in they told me that every time the polaris 4x4 was engaged it locked all 4 and was a more stout transfer case for the 4x4 system i bought the limited edition orange for 2012 (my wife loves orange so this made the 5400$ price tag easier for her to accept) and i havent looked back i plan on usin it for everything you mentioned above and lets just say my wife also loves it and ive never gotten it stuck its a great bike and if you choose it you wont look back ... I didnt

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
ajw020

The more I ride mine the more I like it. I am a large person (6'2' 260 lbs) and it moves me around! lol
I find on trails I can keep up with most other atv's.
Where the big bores shine is open areas top speed stuff.
The Sportsmen 500 is all the quad most will ever need.
I had a factory winch put on if I get stuck I get unstuck quick.
I do not hammer my quad in the mud if it stops the winch takes it out easy no axle snapping and stuff. I have only been stuck once and that was because of huge ruts someone with a lifted atv put in the river bank. I did not struggle I just put the winch on a tree 20 feet away and hit the button!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an Arctic Cat 550 EFI 4x4 and got them to give me the Warn 3k lb winch for me to install. That made the winch $250 instead of $450. I bought the Warn 54" blade with quick release from 4WheelTruckParts online and got it for $300. Once installed, it works better than I imagined. Handles gravel driveways like a dream especially when the ground is wet.

I think you're going to love your new tool/toy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts