ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I found a 2001 Scrambler 500 for sale pretty cheap that the owner says that the cam is basically wore out and needs replaced. He says that this is a common problem but I am new to Polaris atvs. Is this a legit problem and would it have a realistic price tag to fix or should I stay clear of it?

I guess it idles but when given gas, it does nothing. He has it for sale for a $1000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my father in law just gave me a sporstman 500 it idled fine, but when you gave it throttle it bogged down and backfired through the carb this was caused from a bad cam, the cam has 3 lobes on it the middle being your exaust lobe was worn completly down likly because the oil hadnt been changed in about 5 years. price of a cam is about 250 and the bike should work great afterwards. its a easy fix too, if its the same engine as the sportsman 500 this is what you need to do. pull off the valve cover take out the bolt on top of your pull start put engine to tdc by lineing up the groove and mark. pull the timing chain cover off disconnect the sprocket from the cam by removing the 3 bolts marking where the chain is on the sprocket tie it tight with a piece of wire. go to the left side of the machine remove the water line elbow, remove the decompression cover slide the cam through. be careful not to drop the decompression parts from the cam. like i said before the center lobe should be worn. if it isnt then you have another problem all together. be sure to get a valve adjustment

1 - 2 of 2 Posts