ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just acquired a '98 Big Bear 4x4 that has manual shifting, but with automatic clutch, and I'm unfamiliar with these motors. It requires 20w40 weight oil(guessing motorcycle type oil as manual doesn't say). Can a person use 20w40 or 20w50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oils(or other type such as synthetic diesel oil) and NOT HURT the automatic clutch mechanism, or have slippage by doing so? I have a newer motorcycle that came from factory with synthetic oil, but as I say, I'm unfamiliar with this older ATV and using synthetic oil in it with the automatic clutch.
Thanks
Del

·
Registered
10 Posts
you can. before you buy it make sure it meets the right requirements for wet clutches. yamaha also sells synthetic and semi synthetic
oil. but its pricey. look in your manual or ask dealer what the requirements are for your engine. good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grizzman, I feel that synthetic oil is better for these machines in that the oil doesn't break down under shear loads like dino oils will and they handle extreme temperatures better(not outdoor temps, but engine temps).
Delbert

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I use synthetic in my 400ex. I bought it new and thats what I wanted to do. I know you are suppose to break a motor in on conventional oil or that is atleast what everyone told me. BUt its a 98 i am sure its broke in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts