ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a motor from a 2001 Honda 350 Rancher, I'm using it to power a custom project, but its been mud covered and snow drenched since new, so now its dirty and stained. I'm trying to get the thing looking brand new, i was thinking of taking emery cloth (extra fine) to it, but because its air cooled, the fins would be near impossible to clean and it would take a million years to have it look good. Everyone is telling me that I should use a engine de-greaser, buts its not really grease that is on the motor, more than just dirt/grime. The engine is aluminum I think, perhaps there is an aluminum stripper I could get that would strip off the dirt...? I was also thinking of bead blasting it, but the motor is complete, and i've heard that blasting it can damage the engine gaskets in a quick hurry...maybe I can get some larget sized beads?
Keep in mind, the engine is sitting on my workbench, but it is full and complete, I have not and am not planning on taking it apart because it runs perfect...I want to make sure that anything I do to beautify it, will not damage it or any gaskets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
-mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why don't you just paint it with High Heat Aluminum paint. If you were to clean the aluminum up to a high shine and just leave it, the finish would dull anyway as the aluminum would oxidizes and dull.

There is one more way to clean it up, but it would be a lot more work and money. Have the block and head chrome plated.

High Heat Paint

1 - 2 of 2 Posts