ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, this is my first question on this forum. I have lurked here for a long time and have learned a crap ton of info on this forum and it is appreciated.
I rebuilt my KQ as I was having tranny issues and decided to give it a total refresh, It only has 830 km on it.
After complete disassembly, inspection, cleaning and re-assembly. it still acts like the centrifugal clutch is remaining engaged. I have new clutch shoes on it but I notice the inner race on the one-way bearing under the centrifugal clutch shoes looks a bit pitted. I think some of the clutch material from the old shoes got in there.

And finally....the question. One of the replacement parts I have ordered is a concave washer for under the left-hand thread nut that holds the centrifugal clutch and no where on Gods green earth can I find out which way it goes on. What purpose does it serve? The factory manual is like boobs on a boar hog. I thought Harley shop manuals were bad.

Anybody have any answers.

Cheers
JR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, since nobody jumped in on this question, as a past mechanic, I will tell you that is referred to as a bell washer. Place it onto the stud concave side out,or toward you. When you screw the nut on, it will hit the center of the washer first, because thatis the part of the washer that is sticking out farthest toward the nut. Tighten until the washer is flat, or, if you have a torque spec, follow that spec. I hope that answered your question. hahd, wear a mask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, since nobody jumped in on this question, as a past mechanic, I will tell you that is referred to as a bell washer. Place it onto the stud concave side out,or toward you. When you screw the nut on, it will hit the center of the washer first, because thatis the part of the washer that is sticking out farthest toward the nut. Tighten until the washer is flat, or, if you have a torque spec, follow that spec. I hope that answered your question. hahd, wear a mask.
Appreciate the reply.. I have never seen one used in this type of application, but it makes perfect sense. I just wish the factory manual was not so cryptic. (I am Canadian, therefore I follow the rules and wear a mask. :)). Again, thanks for the reply.
JR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts