ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys thank you very much for taking your time to read my post.

I have a coolster ATV that I got for Christmas in 2017 and rode it for a little bit and I haven’t driven it in about 4 to 5 years. I drove it for maybe a couple months before it stops starting and since then has been sitting for years. The quad barely has any runtime on it yet it won’t start. I put a new battery in it and it cranks but it won’t start. There are some new parts and a few other things that I put on it and it still wouldn’t start. The quad has been sitting in my garage so the sun did not damage any parts of the ATV. Does anyone know how to make it start again? I am starting it in neutral and I am trying the choke and I put 91 octane gasoline in it. If anyone knows what could be the problem with it I would greatly appreciate the help.

thank you guys very much

·
Registered
522 Posts
The engine needs 3 things to run.
Spark
Fuel
Compression
Begin by checking for spark at the spark plug. If nothing, check to see if there's 12volts at the coil when key is on.
Check that the carburetor is getting fuel. If you haven't already taken the carb apart and thoroughly cleaned it, do that.
If you have spark and fuel, check to see if you have compression. A really basic way to check is to just remove the spark plug and hold your finger over the hole while cranking the motor. It should be impossible to keep your finger over the hole
Let us know what you find out.

Mad

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yup. Have a try at starting it, just about ten seconds winding with choke and throttle, then pull the spark plug out and inspect the tip to see if it's wet or dry looking, then connect it to the sparkplug lead and rest the plug on the engine and look for spark when it's cranking over.
If the plug was dry, then you likely need to fix the fuel system.
If the plug was a bit wet, but you had no spark, then you probably need to check the ignition system. First though, you should try a new plug, and if it's possible to take the cover off the end of the sparkplug lead, do that and hold the lead near the engine looking for spark when it's winding over.
If the ignition is a cdi system(and it almost certainly will be), then you need a service manual to check it really. Some of us here could talk you through trying all the possible tests, but that would be very long and drawn out, and subject to problems.

Check for fuel and spark, and get back to us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everybody I am the original poster, I seriously apologize for not writing back as fast as I could. I forgot my email and couldn’t log into my other account. I can finally respond to you guys and again apologize for my account issues.
I took the spark plug out and tried starting it, but no gas came out of the spark plug hole. I examined the spark plug and it is brand new and I can hear it firing when trying to start it with it in. I checked the fuse, and it is intact also. I shined a flashlight into the spark plug hole and it is completely dry on the inside. I also tried to spray starting fluid in the atv and it still also won’t start. Should I try to take the carburetor out again and clean it? Or should I buy a new fuel injector.

thank you guys so much for your help :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
You can't just hear if the spark plug is firing. Take it out of the cylinder, put the spark plug wire back on it and lay it on the engine so that the metal part is touching the engine. Crank the engine. You should see a white spark jump between the electrodes. And you shouldn't see gas coming out of the spark plug hole unless the cylinder is full of fuel which would indicate a fuel valve and float valve problem.
Have you checked for compression ? Have you cleaned the jets in the carb ?
Go back and read the previous posts, do those things and report back.

Mad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts