ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to ATV's and bought a Suzuki QuadRunner 250 that needs a new starter clutch. I'm confident I can do the work, but am struggling to get the crankcase cover off!.....I removed all the bolts and am able to get a razor blade under the cover at the upper right corner, but it won't budge and I'm worried I'm doing soimething wrong or afraid I will damage the cover. Any pointers? help? I attached a photo of the cover ready to be removed...I think!?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's probably just glued on with a paper gasket, and a bit tight on some hollow dowels that the bolts go through. I'd check which bolts are made a bit long to allow for the depth of the dowel, or have a look in a manual or parts place to see where the dowels are, and then tap and pull on there. Give it a few taps on the side where the dowel is, then sort of strike it a glancing outwards blow, prefereably with a soft hammer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mech, thanks for your help.....I don't believe the two starter bolts come through to this cover. Here is a pic of the cover and
I've circled the longest bolts. Can you explain tapping where the dowels are? The engine is on the machine so it's hard to strike at an outward direction.....there are two tabs on the cover that I can pry on, but it doesn't move doing that.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
In those pictures it's 4 and 19 I think, those are hollow dowels, but my viewer had a lot of picture obscured and there may be more. They locate the gasket and then the cover. They are counter-bored into the case and cover, and about twelve mills long. They fit into each part by about 6 mills and it's enough if they get a bit corroded to seize in a bit. If it's possible to tap on the side of the case, side-wards to the bolt, and right on the join, by a dowel, and where the two dowels both are, sometimes the shock and a bit of metal bruising is enough to loosen the crud. So if there was a dowel top centre of the case, you'd tap from above, not hitting away from you and towards the head of the bolt. You'd just tap withing six mills either side of the join.
Without a manual, or to confirm where the dowels are.. Because most of the bolts go through one case and straight into the other case's threads, the bolts are about eight mills longer than the case at the place where they are made for. If you slip all the bolts in till they touch threads, they all have the same amount of clearance under the heads, eight mills, and then if you look and compare each bolt you see that two mostly, have about 6 mills of extra length. They're longer than the distance to the join plus eight. They're the distance to the join plus eight plus six, in order that their threads will still engage with eight mills of threads.

Locate the dowels, and tap the join and lever and it should come..

I've had those things apart before and there wasn't anything too hidden that I remember.. but.. it was thrirty yeas ago.. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts