ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'd like to start my custom build hopefully with a used quad. For instance, there is a cheap 2001 Polaris 335 4x4 for sale in my area, it's not running. I don't want the engine anyway.

I'm wondering if I could fit 4 wheels of the same size on it while keeping the wheel base symmetrical. I'd really like to have wheels like on the back of a racing quad all the way around. Kindof like this:

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/Super Grip Art/Stinger Rear.jpg

I don't really care about the size of rim or tire, as long as the general shape of the tire remains the same as the above photo.

Since the front tires are more narrow, I'm assuming that even if I could just bolt on 4 tires like this, the front tires would sit farther apart than the back ones. Am I right? How would I get around this?

Strange, I know... but I have something very specific in mind.

Also, it would be nice to have more suspension travel and a wider stance. I see kits for UTV's that do just that. Not sure if that fits my budget, and it seems the tires are narrower on the front of those too from what I've seen. I'd still like it to fit in the box of a half ton truck too.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After further research, I see people talking about putting the same size tire front and back. Most people opt for narrower, putting front sized tires on the back. I understand that putting wider on the front can make for more difficult steering, but this build will likely have power steering anyway.

I don't understand how one could put tires designed for the rear on the front. Would you have to change the rim? Would the larger rim/tire not interfere with the steering? I would also think that the front tires would be a bit further apart.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts