ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Background info I have a 2007 Honda Rincon 680 that was given to me a few years ago by neighbor who passed away. It was and has been well maintained until I tore a boot doing some rough riding where I live in the bayou.)
I have asked neighbors and friends and even my local people on Facebook how to replace the axel. Sad to say no one had any real sound advice on what to do except for one man who pointed me to a YouTube video on how to do the disassembly which was incredibly helpful until I came to the part where I have to remove the axle from the differential. Unfortunately it did not just pop out as shown in the video. After spending several hours yanking on it pulling the axle straight out in a hard jerk motion as other videos have suggested with not even a hint of give. I moved on to try other methods such as using a pry bar on one side and tapping it with a hammer on the other rather unsuccessfully I might add:rolleyes:. I've spent the last four days trying various different methods to remove these stuck axles. Im running out of options to try and am becoming increasingly frustrated:mad:. Please I need advice what can I do?
(Note: Take it to a shop coments are not helpful I live 4 hours from any shop and have no way of getting it to the shop. I am a woman and have very little experience with this sort of thing.) Thank you for taking the time to read this massive amount of text.:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Do the axles on that get held on by an internal clip ? Make sure everything is removed. The
axle shouldn't be that hard to pull out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I was told the axels are held in by a c clip internally which "should" close up when you push in then yank stright out however I have also been informed that "they can rust up and be absolute bitches to get out without an axel puller" I have been looking online for an atv axel puller but are only finding slide hamer kits you need to modify to fit. If I cant get them out by tommorow I will have to see if I can find an atv mechanic who would be willing to travel to come help. Anyhoo thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
like the previous post - if the slips rust - and it will if the bike sat and condensation rusted things in the diff - they don't compress real well. I had had to give them a shot "in" with a dead blow to break the glaze then pry them out. It'll come. Once out you can replace the boots instead of the entire axle. You'll need snap ring pliers and the tool for the boot clamps. Take your time. Everything comes off one side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts