ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Have a 02 grizzly. Died the other day and it was dead. No power at all. Traced the wiring to the rectifier where I found 2 bare wires. Still something going on. Do you think I fried the rectifier? thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just because you found bare wires at your rectifier doesn't mean that is your problem. What I mean is that, if the wires didn't short out and cause the rectifier to fry itself then the wires aren't the cause for the Griz to not work. What I would look for is maybe a blown fuse. If you did find a blown fuse--why did that fuse blow? Were you riding in a stream bed and it got wet, or doing donuts in a field and you threw up wet mud? If you found all the fuses were good(and also no corrosion around or in fuse holders) then you move onto other possibilities. How about a bad ignition switch or corrosion around switch terminals? Is the battery original? If so, then you need to replace. It might have power to light up the dask lamps or head lights, but not enough power to turn over the starter. Even if battery is new, it needs to be checked out, because of possible bad cell. If you find that all mentioned items are good, then you move on to possibly bad rectifier(did you ride in rain and raindrop made contact with wire and frame and shorted out), CDI box(or whatever your control unit is called), starter relay, and keep doing the process of elimination to find your problem. It could even be something simple like a ground wire that has gotten corroded and doesn't make good enough contact with framework anymore. There's so much to go through, but look at everything. The biggest thing with an outdoor vehicle will be corrosion. You need some electrical contact cleaner. Walmart, Radio Shack, Automotive stores have it. Also get some "dielectric grease" to coat those electrical connectors and fuses to help with corrosion and keep out moisture. All wiring junction connectors need pulled apart, cleaned and coated with the dielectric grease. Unfortunately there's no real quick answer. Good Luck
Delbert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks, ya i realize that the bare wires aren't necessarily the problem, but i have good power until this point. fuses all look good. and like i say i had no power at all, but good from the battery and the other side of the main fuse. it died just riding it. like stone dead. it is an 02 so who knows. keep on hunting i guess. i've done better jobs, that's for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, when ya say you have good power up to the rectifier, does this mean you did an ohm test for the wires(key off) leading UP TO the rectifier? Then did the same test(key on) but voltmeter set to at least 20 volts DC? This will tell you if everything up to this point is good(proper 12 volts). Then with(key on) you did a voltage test for the wires that GO FROM the rectifier to other various points? It's important, because it could be a "Ignition Trigger Sensor". This sensor senses power, and with the proper timing triggers a firing of the coil to the spark plugs. It acts like "points" on older vehicles. If tests on correct wires show good, leading up to the rectifier and you don't have any breaks, BUT, no voltage(key on and meter set to 20v DC) coming from rectifier and you don't see any meter movement then rectifier is NO GOOD as you previously mentioned. Only reason to do this test is that most rectifiers are pretty expensive and it eliminates needing to buy something that's not needed. Good Luck and get that Griz growling again.
Delbert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts