ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if I need to seal my cap cap I am aware that they need to be vent but is there anything to stop water form just coming through the threads. It may be a dumb question but I would rather just check before I go pass the cap.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you have the stock gas cap and the rubber seals are in good shape, you shouldn't have to do anything else
unless you plan on going completely underwater. That's what they pay the engineers to figure out.

Mad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the stock gas cap and the rubber seals are in good shape, you shouldn't have to do anything else
unless you plan on going completely underwater. That's what they pay the engineers to figure out.

Mad
Im unsure if there is a seal I think it’s just the bare threads and then a vent at the top of the cap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that you should go to your local service and ask them what to do. When I had a similar issue, I had no money for service, which is why I went on the internet to find a solution. After hours of searching, I saw that the best solution is silicone sealant or polyurethane sealant. I didn’t know which one to choose, and after some time, I was able to find a website that had an article about silicone sealant and polyurethane sealant, and what is the difference between them. I read all the information about silicone vs polyurethane and chose the best option for my situation. That is why I would like to recommend it to everyone who has a similar issue.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How can you seal a gas cap with silicone ? You have to open it constantly. There needs to be a rubber
gasket or O ring on the cap.

Mad

·
Registered
29 Posts
As Mad stated, there is a rubber gasket or O ring on the gas cap, if there wasn’t you’d know it because gas would leak down the cap Threads while riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts