ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked for around 6 months at other people's over-priced, abused, torn-up crap for my "VERY FIRST" ATV, and I think I finally got a bargain of a deal this past Sunday on a '98 Big Bear350 4x4. It is original, right down to the tires(except for oil changes and dealer servicing when under warranty). I'm now the 3rd owner, and this ATV was slightly "used" but "not abused". The plastics are a little scuffed in a couple places, but in perfect condition, and there's some slight surface rust, but what respectable ATV doesn't have some rust. It even has the original tool kit and factory tire gauge that I think the other owners never even used, as when I got it home, I found that tires were inflated to 20 lbs that I immediately brought back down to the proper 3.6 lbs. It came with some optional accessories like a new 2000# winch, a large hunting 3 sided basket mounted on top of, rear factory rack, and the owner even threw in a 3-way aluminum folding ramp to get into my trailer. NOW, for the bad part. When I tested vehicle out, it was in a small back yard where I couldn't really romp on the throttle, so when I got ATV home, it WOULDN'T START, or run for any length of time. I attributed this being "OLD GAS" as the owner's I got it from hadn't used it, except during "last winter", when kids played around their yard. Changed gas out to new, and it started up, and I adjusted idle speed, but it sputtered and coughed at higher rpms. So today I tore into carburator and saw that the jets were dirty and somewhat plugged with crud, so with some elbow grease and a lot of swearing because of those cheap fuel bowl screws that always strip out at the head(dremel tool and cut off wheels to make new slots) I hope to have it up and properly running properly on Wednesday, along with taking apart all connectors and putting in some "dielectric grease" to keep out moisture, and a fuel filter, and some of the fuel vapor hoses that have gotten hard and are loose due to age. I also am changing out those cheap carburator screws to some good stainless allen head screws.Still, I think I got it for a heck of a deal. How does $1500 dollars sound? :cheeky4:
Delbert

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the carb cleaned out, and there was crud in the jets and that's why it coughed/sputtered on higher revs. Also changed out those bad fuel bolts to some allen head screws to make it easier to get into carb in the future. Now the engine purrs like the mountain lion she is. Wife loves this beast!!!!!
Delbert

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Super! My dad and I have a 87 model of the same quad. its a good atv. Bought it from my Grandfather about a year ago. Love it.
Got the carb cleaned out, and there was crud in the jets and that's why it coughed/sputtered on higher revs. Also changed out those bad fuel bolts to some allen head screws to make it easier to get into carb in the future. Now the engine purrs like the mountain lion she is. Wife loves this beast!!!!!
Delbert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts