ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just picked up a 2008 Can-Am outlander 650 max. Took it out on the trails and it runs great but my legs are burning up. It’s about 90° out today and I was up and down some pretty good hills in the woods. Should I go with a lower temperature thermostat? The fans were cycling frequently so I am pretty confident that the cooling system is working in the way it should. I’ve never Had a Can-Am or a quad with this big of a motor. Is this normal? Any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most vehicles have some spare cooling ability, so if the fan cycles on and off at fifty percent, it's probably good. If it comes on ninety percent of the time it might need cleaning and perhaps fixing. Rough figures but it's worth noting the percent on and off. Some come on for a minute, in every four, and others come on for a few seconds, every second minute.. both are ok.

If you can put a temperature probe on a meter into the radiator and start it up you will be able to get some idea what temp the fan comes on at.. The manual should say what.. but I'd expect it to come on about ninety-six-eight, and switch off about four degrees lower.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah dirt on the outside of the radiator. I'd check the temperature of the coolant with a temp gauge on a multimeter.. they are cheap... And I'd note what temperature the thermostat opened at, and then the fan on and off temperatures, with the duty cycle of the fan.. Depending where the filler(and probe) is the temps you get will be a bit lower than the book specs probably..

It's likely got nothing wrong, but it's good to be familiar with the fan's normal cycle for future reference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts