ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1988 Yamaha 225 Motto 4. Atleast i think it's a 225
2wd Hi/Lo and reverse. I wanted to clean the carb but havn't bothered yet as it does run not to bad. I find it's a little hard to shift gears so that has me worried. My boss said theres some kind of adjustment somewhere?? Question 2.. On the right side theres the dipstick for oil and left side theres another plastic threaded plug?? does anything go in there?? Question 3.. The sparkplug was pretty wet oily so i just put a new one in it earlier. I take it it's getting to much fuel maybe?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question #1: Yes, there is a clutch adjustment. On the right side of your engine is your clutch cover. You will see a threaded shaft with a slot in it and a nut around it. It is between a "Increase -- Decrease" marking (usually under much dirt and grime). Loosen the nut, turn the shaft with a screwdriver to increase or decrease. The tighten the nut again.

I've never had this ever do much though. You may need a new set of clutch discs. They are about $40 or so.

Question #2: That plug is for checking the timing. You take it out and look in there to see the markings on the flywheel when checking / setting engine timing.

Quiestion #3: Probaby a bad plug, how is it starting / running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It helped me out. Turns out clutch plates were done for. And the plug was completely gone also. I payed a guy that lives by and know about them to do the plates. It runs great now. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts