ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 2000 Honda Foreman ES. It has a over-rev governor on it but it always kicks in when I'm in 5th gear no matter how much throttle I'm using. It's a pain in the *** because I always get locked out of the shifter and I can't get it to work unless I slow down and turn the ignition key on and off real fast.

Is there any step by step instructions, available, on how to disable the governor all together? Any info on how to do this would be much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Banned
377 Posts
Honda Foreman....

ESP™ (Electric Shift Program) features push-button upshifting and downshifting. The rider shifts simply and precisely with the press of the upshift or downshift buttons mounted on the left handlebar. An onboard electronic control unit (ECU) monitors information from four sensors—engine rpm, countershaft speed, shift drum position, and shift spindle angle—to control the speed of the shift. Clutch engagement speed varies according to rider style; the transmission shifts more quickly when riding style turns sporty. A neutral lockout at speeds greater than 2 mph ensures available engine braking when descending hills. To ensure smooth shifting, the transmission cannot be shifted from neutral to first gear or reverse gear at engine speeds above 3000 rpm. ESP is not dependent on battery condition, operating whenever the engine is running. Should the rider ever need to shift manually, the Foreman ES is also equipped with an auxiliary shift arm in the tool kit.

Imo...Maybe check those 4 sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there,

Thanks for the reply! I know I'll probably have to mess with the sensor but I have no idea what it looks like. I don't want to crack open the es not having a clue on how it's set up. With my luck I'd mess it up even more.

Btw, the pic you posted is the correct model. Thanks!

·
Banned
377 Posts
Maybe, You can check all the sensors with an electrical tester(For Continuity).
Test it like a fuse. One time I used a wire, light bulb, and a small battery to test sensors on my dryer. If the bulb lights up then sensor is good. Just make a series circuit...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts