ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 polaris 800 atv and whenever i put the ADC switch on and it engages it makes a what i call grinding noise there is no noise when the atv is in 4 x 4 just when the adc switch is on and it engages. i am wondering if anyone has any information on this ? ? ? is this normal ? it doesnt sound right. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever find out the cause? I have an '08 500 and mine began doing the same thing yesterday. It still works but when it engages it grinds. The best way I can describe the sound is as if "plastic gears" are slipping and grinding...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I never found any real problem but it sounds a lot like the problem I had and is all I did was change the front diff fluid and the problem or sound ...went away so I'm thinking it was just the oil. It had never been done since I had bought the machine and the oil had normal wear and tear to it. So maybe try that and let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I never found any real problem but it sounds a lot like the problem I had and is all I did was change the front diff fluid and the problem or sound ...went away so I'm thinking it was just the oil. It had never been done since I had bought the machine and the oil had normal wear and tear to it. So maybe try that and let me know.
Thanks for the update. I'll give it a try and let you know. It may take a few days as I'm not sure if I have any fluid or not and I'm tied up with insulating and drywalling my basement

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took a look through the shed and it turns out I did have some demand drive fluid. I drained the fluid and it was jet black with signs of some moisture...

I added new fluid and just like in your case the grinding noise went away. I guess that system must be pretty sensitive and likes fresh fluid...

Thanks a lot...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts