ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here guys cause I need some help! Got a 97 Wolverine that I've had since new that's in almost the same condition as when I bought it...except for throttle response. Probably has about 30 hours on it and most of it's time has been spent in the garage with armorall dripping off it :). That's the start of the problem. Replaced the rusted factory pipe with a FMF about 4 years ago. It ran fine without jetting changes. Then went through a divorce 3 years ago so it sat in storage for the last 3 years. I ran it with Sta-Bil in the tank before I stored it thinking I would ride it every so often, but it was only started once during that 3 year period. That one time it was obvious the pilot jet was plugged so I cleaned it, at which point I realized I will NEVER put Sta-Bil in anything I own again! The entire carb was like green sugar inside, but it wasn't all that difficult to clean up. Ran fine again after getting the pilot jet opened up so replaced the gas and put Seafoam in it, then parked it again. Upon retrieving from storage about a year and a half later it started right up. Ran a little rough, as might be expected, but no smoke and no real problems until I tried to run it hard. It would fall on it's face past half throttle like it was hitting the rev limiter. So I completely cleaned the bottom half of the carburetor....pilot jet was slightly plugged again and everything was still kinda green in there, but all in all much better than I expected. While I had it apart I switched the main jet to a 145 (stock was 140) according to FMF's recommendation and noted the factory pilot jet was already the 42.5 they said it needed to be and the needle valve was also set at the appropriate setting. But upon completion of all the restoration and clean up I was bummed to discover still no throttle response past half throttle. So, took the carb COMPLETELY apart and cleaned EVERYTHING literally from top to bottom, and was rewarded with absolutetly no change in performance. It starts instantly and idles perfectly, and as long as you stay at half throttle or less it runs without a hick-up. But past half throttle it bogs and sputters, even if the rpm's are barely faster than idle. It's not the rev limiter for the parking brake since it will rev to the danger zone in neutral, but forget about it if you put it under a load. I'm so frustrated I can't put it into words, and I suspect it's something very simple that I just can't figure out, so I'm hoping someone here has seen or heard of this before. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, as you suspect, it has to be fuel related. It uses hardly any fuel when in neutral, so it revs up really easily. So, does your bike have a fuel filter? Maybe that Sta-Bil shmuck clogged it up. What about your tank screen? Maybe pull off the petcock or whatever your bike has. It has a filter screen in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had it completely apart from the tank. Screen inside the tank is pristine. Petcock is fine. Replaced fuel line and in-line filter. Carburetor itself couldn't get any cleaner...at least as far as I can see. I saw here somewhere that a rich condition can give similar symptoms, and In addition to not noticing that before I never considered that as a possible problem since it did it before I switched to the bigger main and after increasing airflow. I'm going to try lowering the needle a notch and see what happens as soon as I get some down time.

Thanks for the reponse!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts