ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I got a 2001 Big Bear 4wd that had been sitting in a yard for years.
Had to put a new carb on it, checked the valves, did the oil. Started right up, runs great.
So, when I try to shift to,1st, it doesn't go into gear. Neutral light comes back on.
I checked to see if the pedal was hitting anything. It's clear. Shifter feels normal,
and returns to center. I can't get 2nd or any forward gear. It DOES shift into reverse.
My question...do I have to apply the brake for it to go in gear ? Or is there something I can
adjust without tearing major things apart? I did the adjustment with the screw and
locknut on the left side.
Thanks
Mad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like it's not coming out of reverse completely. Before adjusting anything make sure the (reverse) handle is fully locked out. (turn the engine off and roll the bike back and forth if you have to). then check for bent, stretched, or worn linkage, cables, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't have the reverse handle. It has the little switch you turn on the dash hooked to a cable. I finally got it to go into 2nd, then 1st. There's a lot of slop in the external linkage. Spherical bearings worn out. I'm waiting on a new set. Ill see how it behaves then. At least I verified that it moves forward and back under it's own power.

Mad

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE The spherical bearings in the external linkage were shot. I replaced the entire external linkage and everything is good now.

Mad

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda excited. I am going to buy a snowplow for the Big Bear. Only need it for my driveway. With the winch now working and loaded with new cable, I think it's ready.

Mad

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But my dog slammed into me this morning. Dislocated knee and fractured tibia at the knee. Surgery next week. 3 months recovery. Arrrrgh...

Mad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts