ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a honda atv don't know which one to get. I will be using to ride around pull small trailer and do some mudding. Would like to put a lift kit and different rims and tires. I been looking at rancher and rincon. What do y'all think would be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my thoughts on the quads

I have not ridden either. Only a recon es. Really liked it.
Personally id go for the rancher unless you need to pull something really heavy with your trailer. Plus i think the rancher looks a bit nicer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you're talking new:

In terms of size... Smallest to largest: Recon -> Rancher -> Foreman -> Foreman Rubicon -> Rincon.

The Rancher is a 420cc motor, Foremans are 475cc, and the Rincon is 675cc.

Rubicon and Rincon have independent suspension in the rear. The others have a solid rear axel.

I rode the Foreman and Rancher when I was looking for a machine. My sister has the Rancher and does really well on it. I like the machine except for her push button reverse method is a bit more complicated than it needs to be. Not something I wanted when plowing snow.
I also drove a Polaris (can't recall what model, about the same size as the Rincon), Can-Am, and Suzuki KQ. Can-Am was just to damn expensive for what you get. I liked the Hondas better and they were less money. I'm not a Polaris fan, and even though the Polaris was pretty nice, I just don't like how un-reliable they are. I ended up getting the Suzuki King Quad. Fewer bells and whistles and the reverse is still mechanical. Independent suspension all the way around and Diff-lock.

The key is to make a list of things you want to see in the 4 wheeler and then compare the models for what you want. I would not recommend anything less than a 400cc motor for pulling things.

·
Registered
70 Posts
BTW - I should mention that if I were to go out and buy another ATV this year, I'd probably get a Honda.

Not that I don't like my Suzuki, I still feel they are the most reliable work horses on the market, but Suzuki company is in a period of uncertainty.

They chose not to make any more 500's. The 500 didn't sell very well because the 750 was not that much more money. They really haven't changed their machines much in the past 5 years, and before than they really hadn't changed much since the late 80's.

And even the changes 5 years ago were things you really can't see. Put a 2014 Suzuki next to a Polaris and just do a checkbox comparison. The Polaris has more features, and that is why the Polaris is selling better than anyone else. But go to a ATV rally and you'll see a high percentage of Polaris's getting towed back home.

·
Registered
22 Posts
do not buy a Honda with drum brakes...you are asking for trouble. They do not seal despite what the salesman will tell you about them. Mud and water gets in and corrodes the hell out of everything. Disc brakes front and rear...there's really no excuse for not having discs front and rear anyway, drums are just cheap-*** manufacturing cost reducers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts