ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 Polaris Xplorer 500 4x4 atv and it wont accelerate?
it has slowly gotten worse over a couple of days here is what happened

I live in az and the bike has always run good then about 2 years ago it started Flooding and such when it heated up outside i just guessed that my petcock was bad(leaky) and that there was also a failure of my float shutting off the flow to the bowl thus it floods. so my solution (cheap) was to add a inline fuel shutoff (from lawnmower section) and that solved the minor issue there.

Was riding (in town) and i noticed that the bike would hesitate beyond half throttle . then it would slowly or briskly pick up.
This lasted for a few days then it was like playing slots you never knew when it would pickup. when it wouldnt go any faster it stayed around 30mph and i would guess 3500 rpm?

now over the next few days it never catches anything beyond 1/2 throttle
and it has gotten worse my top speed is now 15mph and when presented with a load (up a driveway) the rps cap out at 2300 rpm or so and i cant make it up the hill unless i have a running start or i throw it in low

i have seafoamed it and am at a total loss! anyone know whats going on'????

it idles fine and runs/sounds fine while running other than not upping in rpm's checked all lines, fuel, air filter, tires, belt , and nothing i even put a mix of supreme gas and regular to see if it was bad gas or octane not any good it didnt make any diff.

Exhaust smells normal, no smoke white or black.
:
Anyone that can get me a answer that leads to a resolution i would be more than happy to "tip" you !
this is my daily driver and i cant afford for it not to run THANKS!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar issue with an older quad I have. Turned out the needle in the carb had come loose and when it finally quit running, the needle had completely came undone and just dropped. I am not too familiar with the Polaris's so not sure when they went to EFI, but if yours is carbureted, may be worth a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar issue with an older quad I have. Turned out the needle in the carb had come loose and when it finally quit running, the needle had completely came undone and just dropped. I am not too familiar with the Polaris's so not sure when they went to EFI, but if yours is carbureted, may be worth a look.
Thanks will definitely(sp?) give it a look ! i suspect the carb but im not so good with carb work :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look into the carb and watch as you work the throttle... You should be able to see the needle working. If it is loose or not moving..... time to tear into it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOLVED
Problem is the needle or the diaphragm

pulled the diaphragm asm. out and it takes off like a bat out of hell (some running problems but to be expected not having a slide or needle

·
Registered
7 Posts
HA!!! I did that the other day with mine while unloading it from the bed of my truck. I backed up to a hill and just backed off the tailgate. But it had been raining and I was in wet sand and steep hill. So switch to 4x4....still just spin back tires. Then I hit the button on the left bar and hit the gas. I went backwards up the the hill with the bars in my gut. Oops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts