ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is having a problem with his 08 800 so I was hoping that someone on here could help. Here goes.
Earlier this year he was pulling some fallen trees out of the bush with his atv. It bounced up and down a couple of times and bang! He busted his plunge joint( Hope that is what it is called) at the rear. So the splined part of the drive shaft broke on the rear beside the differential. His dealership replaced it under warranty. Since that incident, he has has babbied this machine. However, he has broken the same joint 2 more times, both on the left side. He has also now broken the plunge joint on the right side again at the rear differential. He cannot travel 100 miles without it breaking. He had a Highlifter 2inch lift kit installed which his dealer said was the problem. Can anyone tell us what is going on. They removed the lift kit. Is there a problem with the differential? Should we have replaced the drive axles as well and not just the plunge joint?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
helping a friend

The dealer just removed the lift kit. He plans on driving it quite a bit to prove or disprove the lift kit theory. Lots of people however are using the highlifter 2 inch kit so I can't see it being the problem. I will have him check the frame and brackets around the diff though. Thanks

Has he had the problem since the dealer removed the lift? Check the frame work that the diff is mounted on. Any bent brackets?

·
Registered
2 Posts
my brother had the same problem on his polaris 500, the problem on his was he bought new tires and they sent him the wrong size for the back, so there was a wrong ratio between the back and front tires, and every time he drove it a little bit in 4x4 it would break.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem fix?

Thanks for the input guys. He is currently running ITP mudlites. They are 28's. I don't think the lift kit has anything to do with the breakages either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
28's are two inches over stock, that's going to stress the bike driveline some but sounds to me like he pranged something in the rear diff pulling trees. I'd pull down the rear diff and check it for damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
progress

Ya, my buddy has taken out the two inch lift and has been running the atv hard for the past month with no problems. Still waiting to see if the rear diff will explode again. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts