ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2004 big bear, and recently put Honda bond on me carb bowl so it won't leak, and changed the oil. I started the bike without the wires plugged into the carb because I forgot they existed. But anyway it has a high idle now even after I've plugged the wires back up. The bowl also leaks out the overfill now and it sputters when I give it full throttle. I've recently unclogged all the jets and stuff, wondering if anyone can help

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I’m not sure about the wires but if fuel is coming out of the overflow then it is a float issue. You probably need to take the bowl back off and make sure the needle valve is operating correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. i took the bowl off, and the needle moves fine. took it apart and cleaned the plastic piece that the needle sits in, along w the needle, checked on everything and it all seems fine. i removed the floats and sprayed cleaner into the sitting area for the valve, tip of it looks fine, could it maybe not be pressing on the top of the sitting area good enough to stop fuel flow to the bowl?
after i cleaned everything out i put it all back together, to start up with a crazy high idle, like 3500 or something like that. i dunno what it could be, the needle seemed to be moving fine about half an inch. the idle screw is all the way out, and pulling the choke lets it drop to about 2000 rpm. i checked the boot between the head and the carb and is looks ok, but it could be sealing wrong on the carb side of it. my spark plug is black so its running lean, but the gap is at 28 so its good.
i hopped on the bike anyway and with the choke on when its in gear and the brakes are keeping it still, idle sometimes drops to like 900, and its really choppy. but when i go to drive, it drives into higher rpms with no issues and it actually seems like it might be faster, all with the choke on. and when i turn the choke off it wants to be sputtery again at higher rpm, and idles really high to were my brakes cant stop the bike. idk what the wires are either maybe a heated carb or something, but they dont seem to make any difference.
now i do wanna say, i dont have a lid for my airbox yet, but i ordered one, maybe that can be a variable. this bike is confusing me though, because it started idling fine, after i posted the last thread but it was still sputtery so i assumed the airbox lid would fix it, and after i took the carb apart again today and put it back, the high idle came back.
by the way, never use honda bond or any gasket maker for fuel parts, even when i let it dry for 24hrs the gas ended up breaking down the honda bond and clogged my main jet, which is why i had to take it apart again today. gotta order a new gasket.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I found sometimes it’s better to buy one on those $40 carbs on eBay then keep fighting the old one. I’ve had really good luck with those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found sometimes it’s better to buy one on those $40 carbs on eBay then keep fighting the old one. I’ve had really good luck with those.
really? suprised to hear someone say that tbh. i got one of those for my clapped out 03 rancher 350, because the motor already needs rings and its just in bad shape so i said **** it and it works fine, just leaks out the overflow which just adds to the fact that its clapped out lol. might just give it a shot, i guess 40-50 bucks wont hurt if i want to put a 60 dollar jet kit on it anyway lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your plug is black then your mixture is rich, not lean. Fuel leaking out the overflow indicates your float level is too high or there is dirt holding the needle valve open. A high float level can also cause the high idle and bad running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you use a rebuild kit? If not, I'd buy one and also clean the hell out of the carb. A lot of people use a single strand of wire to help clean out the gunk in hard to reach areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts