ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honda Rincon-Fan not working

I have a honda rincon 650 (03 or 04) and am having issues with the fan. When I run the 4-wheeler, it overheats after about 5 to 10 minutes. I assume this happens because the radiator fan is not clicking on. I checked the fuse and it is fine. I also checked the fan thinking the motor went out but it is fine as well (ran it straight to the battery and it turned on immediately). My thoughts are maybe the sensor that turns the fan on is bad. My question is - where is this sensor? Any other ideas? And does anyone have a wiring diagram/engine schematic that may be of any help?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alrighty I found the breaker! It was taped into the wiring harness. After cutting back some of the tape, I found a white little device with two wires gong into it, one green and one green with a red stripe, a reset button, and a rubber stopper covering a little fuse like device. One thing that makes me wonder a bit - when I cut into the tape, a bunch of water came out.... hmmmmm.

I am going to try to attach a couple of pictures.

My question - What do I do with this now? A fuse is bigger than the little black fuse that is in there...

View attachment 95

View attachment 96

View attachment 97

hello, good morning, I have the same problem of not running the fan, where you found the breaker?
Thank you very much
sorry my English but I'm from Spain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No luck :(.

I ran it and overheated it with the original fuse in that switch. Then I popped out the fuse and stuck a wire in from one pin to the other. Still didn't turn on...

I'm wondering if thats the breaker we're looking for. Without the fuse (and no wire), everything gets power with the key on but it won't start. As soon as I bridge the connection, it will start right up.

I was poking around a bit under the front where all the connections are and noticed this:

View attachment 98

View attachment 99

Any ideas what that is? I'm not sure if theres a cover on it that comes off.

At first glance, it slightly reminded me of a plug to pull codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, and thanks for the info, this weekend I look.
I have another small question, 12: THERMO UNIT, cylynder head, where he works in the cdi? or the light from the dashboard? or the fan?.
And the 14: SENSOR ASSY. 1741467-001, of the REAR CRANKCASE COVER? is for oil pressure or temperature?
:dunno:
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jp33 - I'm not sure I know how to answer your questions.

The 'breaker' I found, I don't believe it is the breaker I was looking for. I found a second one taped into the wiring harness. Neither have a reset switch (I pulled one apart a bit).

I tore into the wiring harness and didn't find any cut wires. I am going to look closer tomorrow but I think everything looks fine.

I have a couple pictures here for ya.

First off, when I removed all the tape and wire covering, I found a lot of connections that looks like this:
View attachment 101
I haven't taken off the electrical tape but it looks like wires were joined together with just electrical tape? Strange...

Also, this little gray box:
View attachment 100

does come apart to reveal this:
View attachment 102

Any ideas what that is for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good day ....
what a mess of wire!
this afternoon (Spanish time) I watch the wires with a continuity tester and I will tell you
I do not know what is the gray box, but I think it is a connection to the Honda tester. ¿?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's more towards the right side of the atv but it's basically right below the gas tank in the open cavity in the frame where all the other connectors are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I haven't found it. I'm going to go out in about an hour and follow all the wires from point A to point B. I figure between the fuse box to the switch to the fan I should find a breaker connected in line. If it's not found, do they make four wheelers without them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah all are good. I made sure to check those first. I had a fuse go out a year ago but didn't check it and ended up waisting my time and money on replacing the fan motor. That was definitely frustrating when I found it was the fuse!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think my temporary wires were loose when I said I had to shake the fan to get it to kick on.

I just called my local Honda atv dealer and talked to a guy in service. He listed off everything to check in this issue:

Fuse
Fan Motor
Thermostat Switch
Coolant Sensor (the sensor in the cylinder head)
AND...
Oil Sensor

I haven't checked this yet. He said he has seen a few come in that had a bad sensor or the wire was loose. For anyone else trouble shooting, I'm told it's located underneath towards the rear of the four wheeler. I may have to remove the skid plate as well.

Since I haven't checked this yet, I'm going to go out and see what I can find. I'll post back as soon as I have some more info.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished!

That was it! After hours of tearing that four wheeler apart checking wiring, fan, etc., the resolution was the oil sensor was unplugged. Best I can say was a stick got up in there and popped it loose. I was able to get to this sensor by removing the factory skid plate that was attached with about 6 - 8 bolts. Once that was removed, the wiring and sensor was easily visible on the rear of the engine a bit higher up and further back from the oil drain plug. I plugged it in and ran it. The four wheeler ran forever before the fan kicked on...I assume that when all the sensors are plugged in and working correctly it would take awhile to overheat the engine! :D

Thanks for all your help Trikemaster! I don't know if I would have been able to get through this without your help!

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm glad you repaired it
I have been with the ATV all the weekend Without results, i will try the Oil Sensor.
I have two doubts:
before fixing it , when you put the contact, before starting it , does the light of the temperature turn on?
When Thermostat Switch is no hot yet , is it interrupted or connected?
Thank you very much

·
Registered
10 Posts
have 2 problems,
1 to join Thermostat Switch cables will not turn on the fan.
2nd to put the contact atv, will not turn on the light panel, oil and temperature
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I turn the key on, my oil/temp light does not turn on either. I don't think it is supposed to (atleast mine doesn't and I know everything is in working order).

The way I tested my fan was by running two wires from the battery and to the fan - positive on one side and negative on the other. (I stuck the wires into the plug. Make sure you have a good connection to the wires.) By doing this, your fan should turn on.

·
Banned
377 Posts
have 2 problems,
1 to join Thermostat Switch cables will not turn on the fan.
2nd to put the contact atv, will not turn on the light panel, oil and temperature
Thanks
You have a Rincon?
Have you tested the thermostat switch?
Check for power at the fan connection.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I have a Rincon
I've checked the fuse
I've removed the Thermostat Switch and I've put together the wires, but When Thermostat Switch is not hot yet, interrupted or is it connected?
I've checked the Coolant Sensor (the sensor in the cylinder head)
I have only to check the Oil Sensor
where is the fan switch to connect the battery directly?

thank you very much

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tan plugs in near where the thermostbewitch plugs in. Follow the wires from the fan and you will find the plug. Unplug it from the wiring harness and wire the fan in directly there.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Rincon...

To test the fan, unplug the fan switch and short the two wires leading into it together, the fan should come on. If not, you may have a wiring problem or a bad fan. There should be 12 volts at one of the pins, and the other should lead to the fan. Make sure the ground wire on the fan is good.

22: SWITCH, THERMOSTAT
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m2708sch316156

·
Banned
377 Posts
I would check that Oil Sensor:thumbsup: because it connects to the ECM and controls the dash....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts