ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Honda Rincon that ran fine but then when parked wouldn’t spark. Cranks no spark. I’ve replaced coil stator coil pick up and bought used working ECM any ideas on what else I can try it still has no spark. Is there a safety or something that would let it crank but not spark?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I suppose you have checked both fuses, and the ignition and kill switches are both working, and power is getting to the two cdi/ecm power in wires, and the earths are good. Then checked for continuity between the cdi and the coil, and it's earth if it has one. Checking the continuity of all the ignitionwires would be a good place to start.

The sparkplug cap or leads could also cause a no spark..

That's about all the things to test, but you should probably download a service manual and do the tests for no spark.. It will lead you through the most logical process of checking and elimination.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In addition to Mechs recommendations, check CDI itself.
Test for continuity between ground pin and all the other pins.
If it has continuity, there is an internal short.
Basically, Mech provided a road map to eliminate CDI as a problem by testing on either side of the component.
The test I recommended will verify the problem is the CDI if there is in fact an internal short.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts