ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello & thanks to all that reply to this.

I am getting ready to purchase a new atv and am debating between a Honda Rubicon w/ power steering and a Grizzly 550 w/ power steering. I am leaning toward the Grizzly due to all the great options it has vs. the Rubicon, such as electric start, 4 wheel independent suspension, diff. lock, more powerful engine & towing, etc.

Both my father and brother have Rubicons and love them & say they wouldn't have anything but a rubicon, but I think the Grizzly is for me. We mainly trail ride with hills, mud, water, etc.

Help, what are your thoughts on these two atv's???
thanks

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
in the may09 issue of dirt wheels they done a review on those quadsbut it was a honda rancher 420, yam grizz 550 suz king quad 500, and the polaris sporstman 550 They liked the yamaha. The Honda and Yamaha r both excellent choices but i would get the Honda. they r my #1 choice in brand. But we have a old Yamaha bigbear it is awsome for an old bike but I still like Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well this is probably gonna start a fued but here goes. Now I'll admit I am biased towards honda but that's just from past experiances. Now just running down the list of what you're wanting....

I can't verify on powersteering, never had one nore rode one. A rubicon w/o power steering is actually easier to steer than my foreman 450. Only advantage I know of with power steering is the loss of feedback the rider gets from the trail.

Now the last time I checked all honda's utility ATV's come with electric and recoil start both...

Looking at your riding conditions I would question transmissions. Honda is using a sealed hydraulic transmission...Technology that has been around since the 20's and is used in some of the largest and heaviest farm equipment produced today. I believe yamaha is using a belt drive on a centrifugal pully system...much like a snowmobile. Effective but useless once it gets wet. Now granted they can seal up the belt case but it will eventually start to leak over the years. I don't know how often you have to replace the belt either, sure it depends on your riding conditions. I just know that the rubicons I have been around are bullet proof. just change the oil like your supposed to and ride the thing.

Now granted the Grizzley had a larger engine producing more power(more fuel consumption) and has a heavier towing capacity. Just how much are you planning on towing? I have used my foreman (same swingarm and rear end as the rubicon) basically as a tractor for the last 10 years. I finally replaced the axle bearings and front wheel bearings...NOTHING ELSE. I change the oil twice a year and put gas in it. I'm pulling hay and grain wagons that weight between 8,000 and 10,000 LBS simply because it's easier than using a large tractor. I would be concerned towing with IRS. The CV joints are weak, especially if you start wheel hopping. The shock load will wreak havoc on CV joints no matter who makes them. Nothing is stronger than a good ol' solid axle.

Now factoring in the fact the Rubicon has a lower MSRP than the Grizzly I would say....father knows best.

Sorry it's lengthy but it's just my 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts