ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, Im new to the forum and new to ATV's in general. Im looking for something that can get me up and down a 100 yard hill that has a max steepness of ~35% or ~20 degrees. Dont need to go fast, doesnt need to be fancy, just reliable. Im looking at a used 2006 TRX250 that looks like its been well maintained and in good shape. My question, do you think it has enough engine to get my 230 pounds up and down that hill consistently, or do I need to look elsewhere?

· Registered
518 Posts
Most 4x4 bikes will handle that hill easily Bach. Even a two wheel drive one will if the traction is good. If you think you'll be driving slow though, I'd suggest you get a model with a five speed transmission and preferably a foot shift. That bike you are looking at will I think be a five speed, and may have a foot shift or a button shift, which they call ES for electric shift. The electric shifts are still good for you but I think they give more trouble with the electric shifting mechanisms.

A lot of bikes now have a belt drive and only one or two forward speeds. If you are looking at other bikes I'd recommend you keep away from the belt drives. The belt works as an auto clutch and a variable speed transmission, but they don't like crawling along, or coming under heavy loads at start off, which has the same effect as slipping the clutch.. it slips the belt and causes heat and wear. The five speed ones still have an auto clutch but it's a proper mechanical system and stands a lot of riding the clutch and abuse at take off.. such as if you stop on the hill and then take off again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts