ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Probably about 3-5 hp with a slip on, jet, and filter. Maybe a couple more with a full exhaust. You’ll save a little weight probably. It’ll have a better sound. You’ll need a exhaust that fits your riding style. If you ride in the woods you’ll want one with more bottom end torque. If you ride out west in the sand you want you power in the mid to high rpm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably about 3-5 hp with a slip on, jet, and filter. Maybe a couple more with a full exhaust. You’ll save a little weight probably. It’ll have a better sound. You’ll need a exhaust that fits your riding style. If you ride in the woods you’ll want one with more bottom end torque. If you ride out west in the sand you want you power in the mid to high rpm.
How do I know what exhaust to get? They don't specify where they give torque in the range.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went back and took another look at the one in the link of your post. Although I am not familiar with that brand it says they are tune able. Rocky Mountain ATV sells the tuning cores. It looks like it comes with wide open race and a quiet core. You and your neighbors will quickly get tired of the race core. I think it’s going to be a seat of the pants feel when you know you got the right one. The cores were reasonable. $15 each.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the race core just VERY loud? Or why won't I like it? So I would get a core that's in the middle range between race and super restrictive?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes. Race cores are super loud on a four stroke. You might like it for a little while. It looked like Rocky Mountain sold two other cores besides the two that the listing came with. If I was you I would get them all and see which one you liked best. Probably takes about 10 minutes to change them out. Sometimes opening a pipe up too much is just as bad as too much restriction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh. Loud is definitely NOT going to work. My neighbors are a little too cop-calling crazy.
But any of the cores will be high-flow enough to work? So mostly the cores are just to see how much sound you want?
Is there any way I could buy a core for the stock exhaust for better flow or does that not make sense at all?
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes they do make a end cap that goes on the stock exhaust. Not sure how much extra power you’ll get but they are a heck cheaper and don’t sound bad. I put one on my sons crf80 a few years back. Run about $30 on eBay. Now he has a Crf150r with a FMF mega bomb pipe and silencer. And yes it makes the neighbors mad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh. Will a full exhaust really make a big difference in power gain? Because my brother said if I just do a slip on the header will be too restrictive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You could probably gain a couple more hp with a new head pipe but engines have to have a certain amount of back pressure to run correctly. You can throw a bunch of bolt on parts at it and you might be able to feel a difference. Usually the gain with each part is so subtle it’s hard to tell a difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You could probably get one of those end caps that goes on a stock exhaust, a k&n filter, and the next size bigger jet and tell a little difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I finally have the money to buy it and had a couple other questions.
First, where should I get the aftermarket jet kit from?
And, what jet size should I use since I am at about 5000 feet elevation?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Will these work?
Appreciate it!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey man. Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier. I think I would get that Lexx pipe off eBay. Get the jet kit so you can play around with them and find where yours runs best. Go up a couple of sizes to start with. As far as filter Uni Is a great filter. I use them in dusty applications. Seems like K&N lets more air through to me. You just got to keep them clean.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts