ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to ATVs.

I'm not a troll, everything I'm writing is very serious and I don't mind if you respond with admonishment but please do not try be downright rude.

I'm a 21 year old guy. My sister is 18.

The other day, I was hanging out with some friends and they were going to go ride on their 4-wheelers and I had never rode one before. I was feeling very spontaneous that day and told them I wanted to try driving one. I told my sister that she should come with me and she said no at first but then finally agreed.

I got the hang of it very quickly but I didn't plan on going on any trails. And we WERE wearing helmets. I just wanted to ride around our house. But my friends wanted to take the trails so I decided I would take a chance and go for it. I was driving very well with my sister on the back. We were having tons of fun. I was taking it slow of course. But at one point, we stopped for a moment. There was a little hill and on the right side of us, a very large bank. My friends went ahead and got over it just fine. I tried to get up it but somehow maneuvered my way to the right and ending up pushing the throttle because I was in a panic. It all happened so quickly. I went straight down the bank and all I remember was my sister screaming. We were both tossed off the bike. My sister somehow got in front of me and landed on her back. I was scraped to high to hell and broke a couple of my fingers but the only thing I felt was fear for my sister. She was lying there crying and all these thoughts were rushing through my head like what if she had been punctured, what if she broke something serious, what if, what if. I saw blood, I tried to ask her what was wrong as I was also crying. My friends ran down to help us and we finally pulled her up. She was scraped up but nothing too serious. I had a panic attack and broke down saying, "I'll never do anything to hurt you ever again!" Please understand that my sister is my best friend in the world and I can't forgive myself for putting her through this trauma. She says she doesn't blame me but of course it is my fault for doing this in the first place with no experience. I feel like she'll never trust me again. I feel like I can never forgive myself. Every time I close my eyes, I see it happening all over again and hear her screaming. I am SO thankful none of us are in critical condition but I still can't let it go.

Everyone played it off like it wasn't a big deal. The police officers that came to help were both laughing asking me why I was crying. My parents were upset but said we were just kids being kids and we're meant to do stupid things so we learn but I didn't think of it that way. I thought that I failed my sister and can't believe that I could put her life in danger like that.

p.s. My father even said he wants to train me to ride the RIGHT away. I thought are you kidding?!! I don't think I could ever get back on one.

Have you ever crashed? With anyone on the back? Do you think I should forgive myself or is this something unheard of and I'm just a bad brother?

Thank you for reading, it means a lot.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
get back on!

I crashed with my 5 year old daughter on the back! cut her ear and it was bleeding. I understand how you feel. My daighter is 18 now and still rides atv's. You should learn how to ride without a rider on the back before ever trying riding two poeple. it is harder to steer and drive with 2 people. practice slowly and learn your limits. it takes time to learn to ride safely. following some buddies through the trails is not how to learn. Take it slow and try again it is fun but yes you must be careful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree..don't give up. but do not run 2up without some riding skills. Start slow and don't think you have to keep up with you buddies if you are not comfortable or confident. Ride with someone who can teach you the proper way and you will gain confidence and find that atv'ing is a great way to have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts