ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it bad for my quad if I let it sit in the garage for a few months or a year without ever starting it up? Is there something I should do with it every so often so it doesn't get damaged or lose power somehow?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Its never good for a machine to just sit. Beyond seals and, sometimes, bearings drying out, if you have any ethanol
in your fuel you're asking for problems. If you know you're going to not use it for several months, I'd drain
the fuel and run it until it dies. Put the battery on a charger and, if you can, elevate the quad off its tires. If the storage
area is damp, I'd spray the steel parts with something like WD40. It would be much better to just start the quad
and run it around every couple weeks. Having said that, my quad sat in a snowy field for almost 10 years.
To get it going here's a list of things I had to do.
New carb
New start cluster
Overhaul the calipers and drums
Rebuild the master cylinder
Get new emergency brake cable
Change all fluids
Get new wheels and tires.
I was lucky that the wheel bearings and CV joints were good.
Now it runs good and everything works. Even the winch.

Mad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its never good for a machine to just sit. Beyond seals and, sometimes, bearings drying out, if you have any ethanol
in your fuel you're asking for problems. If you know you're going to not use it for several months, I'd drain
the fuel and run it until it dies. Put the battery on a charger and, if you can, elevate the quad off its tires. If the storage
area is damp, I'd spray the steel parts with something like WD40. It would be much better to just start the quad
and run it around every couple weeks. Having said that, my quad sat in a snowy field for almost 10 years.
To get it going here's a list of things I had to do.
New carb
New start cluster
Overhaul the calipers and drums
Rebuild the master cylinder
Get new emergency brake cable
Change all fluids
Get new wheels and tires.
I was lucky that the wheel bearings and CV joints were good.
Now it runs good and everything works. Even the winch.

Mad
So its good enough to just drive it around for a bit every few weeks then? Also what "seals" are you talking about and does gas always have ethanol?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Most of our fuel has ethanol in it. Confirm at your place. Even with no ethanol, if you're going to let it
sit, put a fuel stabilizer in it like "Stabil". The seals I'm referring to include shift shaft seals, crank seals etc.
If they dry out and crack you're going to have leaks. But they usually hang in there a long time. Its fine to just run the thing every once in awhile. Put stabilizer in the fuel, keep the battery on a trickle charger and get a can of starter fluid.
When you go to run it, if it doesn't immediately start, spray a little starter fluid in the intake. Its important that you run it long enough to get the oil hot to burn off condensation from being cold.

Mad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts