ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 07 and bought an 09 850!I pick it up in a week,anyone else have one and what is the deal?Are they as sick as i hope them to be??

·
Registered
29 Posts
:thumbsup: You lucky dog, I have been looking at the 850XP. This will be the machine to watch have been reading all the reviews I can find on this machine and all are very positive. I will be anticipating your rider feed back from this machine. As I'm seriously looking at purchasing this unit for next summer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You betcha,im headin into the bush on the 27th,ill have a good review for ya!!!14"ss rims and 28"mudlites......should be a good time!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
you lucky dog you suppose that has the twin pipes i wish my 700 had and its porbly pretty fast they just keep getting bigger and better dont they

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes indeed :)would like to see some pic's of the clutch cooling air intake and the outlet for the exhaust air from the clutch. Looks like it may take water in. Seems to be lower then the old series.

Would like to see a pic of the engine air intake to

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Dealer has the new 850 and 550 XP's in stock as of this week, had a good look at one today.

They look great and feel great, the first thing I noticed when I mounted the ATV was how narrow the seat is. The machine feels like a bike, lots of room on the floor plate to shift you body position around.

Have a demo ride set up for next week will be taking a camera along hope to pull some covers off and have a good look at the hart of the beast. My first impression is WOW this thing looks a feels like a whole new concept for the industry Great first impression Polaris :)

Got a great link on the new web-page for the XP 09's have a look not even hooked up at there main page yet, heheheh you seen it here first

ATV : 2009 : Sportsman XP

Watch the video on the page :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good show:) have you had it in the mud yet, how duss it handle the mud compared to your old bike.

The winch have you used it yet and if so, do you find the 2500lb winch ok

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok,i took her for her maiden run saturday....the 850 is SICK!!!!!!!!!Lots of power,extremely comfy and the steering is unbelievable....without power steering!!I have some big rubber on it and it steers with ease!!Very smooth suspension and it is a great looking machine!!!The power though is unreal!!!!The only thing was when i was done the front suspension and the rear was makin alot os squeakin noises!!!I even greased it and it was still real squeaky....not sure why!!!!But over all,a great machine,im happy with the purchase!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
:).......... :)

:thumbsup: good show glad to here you are happy with it. What size of tires are you running? 29.5... Mud Lite....... the squeak could be the rubber mounts on the suspension. I'm in Canada central what is the price on your end for the new unit? Up here there are asking $10,530.00

Just trying to get the low down on the price as I will be picking one up in late Dec or Jan 09 Had one out for a test ride. REALLY SWEET:D ride. Felt a little like a sport quad, lots of room in the cockpit can really shift your weight around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im runnin 28 inch mudlites,and it was listed at $10500,with all the options i had,$12500!!!!!!And it doesnt need the EPS,keep your $750!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Demo Ride

:cool:
First look

I have had an opportunity to take a Polaris 550XP out for a demo ride. The first thing you will notice when you site on the unit is how much more room you have in the cockpit. The handle grippes are bigger in diameter with a nicer fit to your hand. The controls are all comfortably placed for easy reach. Looking under the seat you see the engine is now swung 90 degrees. The engine air intake is high up by the steering shaft, as for the clutch intake and exhaust it is now right under the operators seat, seems okay but time will tell.:dunno: As for the clutch drain plug it is a little more difficult to get to but it is still doable, as you have to reach around and over the left rear tire to get to it. When it comes time to change out the belt Polaris has made part of the frame removable. This is to gain access to the clutch cover as to allow you to remove it. When you remove the front rack (it comes off with in seconds) you will see the rad is higher and tilted back and the winch mount is below the rad. Under the front rack you will also see the voltage inverter for the charging system. This unit will put out some serious current, I have been told that you will not have any trouble running the winch at idle and have the low battery light come on like in the older models.
The new wheels on the unit are 14” aluminum rims looks great with the stock tires
:)
On To The Ride

The engine had a very slight vibration at idle very minimal for a single cylinder, drifted off quickly when the throttle was raised off of idle. The unit steered with easy and the suspensions was out of this world it soaked up the bumps and never once sent the shock back to the steering or the seat. The wheels would stay locked on the terrain followed and trailed great. I did find the 550 a little boggy out of the hole when you put the throttle down all the way. The unit did have no trouble shooting mud up with the rear wheels though once you had a little momentum. I feel the boggy-ness may be a clutching issue or may just have to break in the engine a little more as the unit only had about 6 hrs on it.

The clutch was all new as you could actually feel the engagement point on the clutch, just a little off of idle you would feel a little bump and a slight drop in RPM. Very small at best.
:(
Dislikes

As for the dislikes of the new XP model, the first thing was the seat mount. The old series had a nice clip at the rear of the seat lift it up and raise the seat. The new seat is held in place by to rubber grommets at the midway point of the under side of the seat. To place the seat in the proper locking position you have to shift the front of the seat forward and then press down in the middle of the seat. If you don’t set the seat down right you will damage the mounting tabs. The unit I drove had this problem, it was not locked down correctly and when sat on by the operator it had bent one of the locking pins over on the underside of the seat. The mechanic that was present tried to push the plastic pin back over, I was surprised the pin did not break off from all the pushing and pulling. The shifter on the 550 still has that spring feel when shifting gears, same problem as the old Polaris 500.
:D
Final Thoughts

Overall I feel this is a great riding machine with lots of power in the 850XP model. I have not ridden an 850XP but by talking to a few members at the dealer I was well assured that the unit will wheelie the front end up with little trouble. Lots of new innovations in the new model and I would highly recommend the extended warranty for a first year model. For an extra two hundred bucks you will get a full twelve months warranty. You can pick your self up a new 850XP for 10,300.00 CA as of October, 31. Have been told by the dealer that this price will change in the first week of November.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So,any idea why there is so much squeakin comin out of the front and rear?Should a new quad sound like that?I know my 07 500 never made a sound,should I give it a few more runs before I worry?

·
Registered
29 Posts
"The squeaking"

"The squeaking" can you cause the squeak with the engine off in a quiet building try and pin point the noise by flexing the suspension of the unit. Look to see if these point are rubber mounts. (IE) sway bars rubber mounting point, top of the shock mounts.

I would defiantly call the dealer on this and make him aware of the squeaking. The more information you can give him or even duplicate the noise for him, the better change he will have to eliminate this problem for you.

I have a 1 year old 500 and it did squeak from the shock mounts for about three rides. I just look for the squeak and gave the rubber mounts a shoot of silicone spay and the squeak was forever gone, after that point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the motor off,in the garage,I push on the front end and the rear,and that's when I get all the squeaking!Definately the suspension,I called the dealer,he says its the first one he sold so he isn't sure what it could be!!!Its hard to pinpoint exactly which part it is because of all the moving parts!I'm still hopin it still needs a couple good runs to loosen er up!!!(I hope)!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up my '09 850 XP Sportsman in camo, hand warmers, throttle warmer, 2500 lb. winch, snowplow, rack extensions, and gun scabbard. Man am I stoked. Had to get me a new unit for deer camp and went for the gusto. Haven't taken it out for any serious trail riding yet, but do have a couple of acres with access to woods, and some hills to try out the ADC climb/decend mode. Man does she have the power, getting the front end up on take off is a snap if your into wheelies. Very quick response with plenty of speed. Quite comfortable seat with lots of room. Nice machine, can't wait to post some pics!

Joel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Boy,That is great news. I have just placed an order for my new 850XP should have it with in the next two weeks look forward to seeing your Pic's :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have my new 850 XP

:thumbsup:
Just picked up my new 850 this past weekend, had to take it out for a spin of course. I had test driven a 550 XP but never had an 850 out for a run, what a nice surprise it was to start it up. The sound from that engine a low rumble with a nice little engine wine. It sounds like it has teeth.

Mount the best a feed her the throttle and WOW it was pulling out with power to spare. Handled like a dream, lots of power can hardly wait to test her out in the mud. The ride from the suspension is superb. Had a run on some whip-tee-dos handled very well found your body slipping forward into the seat very nice riding stance for this machine.

The temperature was about -5c for the ride the unit had no trouble starting. there was no weired vibrations or rattles from the unit. This is very good for a winter ride was expecting to have some sort of squeak or rattle from the cold weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
850 Engine noise

I bought a 850xp about a month ago, I have got 30 hours on it. I keep noticing a engine rattle over 3000rpm, Kinda sounds like valvetrain. Has anyone else heard this, it is probally normall but I wonted to make sure. Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts