ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just signed up on this Forum, anyways, I have a 1991 King-Quad 300 and when i put it in 4wd and try to put any speed or strain on it at all it makes a big clunking sound up front, could something be slipping maybe??? Any help info would help guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sounds like the axle shaft u-joint is shot. just replaced one of mine in the rearend. $300 from Suzuki.
could you tell me what size your tires front and rear are? I'm trying to find out what the factory size for my quad is. it's the same as yours. thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks man for the info, the front tires are 23 x 8 x 11, and the backs are 25 x 10 x 12. Just wondering how you find your bike, I like mine pretty good for a 300.

·
Registered
11 Posts
love it. I got buddies with 700 grizzlies and big can am's and others and I can crawl through holes that they can't. I can't do 70 miles an hour though. the independant rear suspension is what makes this bike so smooth to operate. I see these guys bouncing around and it feels pretty good on mine.

do you know if those are factory tire sizes? my bike has 24's on the front not 23's. I'd like to stay the same ratio between front and rear. just don't know what these came with factory and apparently 91 is very old and there is no documentation for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love mine to, like you said, It might not do 70mph, but it just crawls through anything in Diff Lock, it might only do about 5 mph :cheeky4: in diff lock/super low, but the torque that it has in that gear is amazing for a 300, pulls like a beast, it can go anywhere my buddies sportsman 500 can go and then some more, except up hill. it doesn't have the power to go up hills the sportsman can.

As for the tires, im not sure, they aren't stock, thats all I know, if i find out what stock size is i'll post it up, should be the same as any other 300 king-quad, so try looking for specs on like a 1999, basically identical, except newer ones have round headlights, but the older ones are rectangular.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks for the info. hills are what kills me too. just doesn't have the torque. oh well. I've got $1500 invested. he's over $10000 and we go the same places.:laugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there,i just bought my 1996 King Quad 300.i have a factory sized set on my bike,ill check over easter because its at my holiday house.having just one problem,the bike is revving itself up when it gets hot but when i flick the choke on fully and off again it calms down but just starts again after about 5 seconds.Can anyone help with this? im thinking it could be the float in the carburetor stuck as it was garaged for 2 years (the petrol was never switched off!) and not started.Any help would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
definately sounds fuel related. mine does something similar, I just play with the idle adjust. crank it up while it's cold and down when it's warm. I need to do the carb on mine, it sat for a while too. pull the carb and clean it with cleaner(that is every orface it has) or have a shop do that for you

let me know when you get the factory sizes and thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
sounds like the axle shaft u-joint is shot. just replaced one of mine in the rearend. $300 from Suzuki.
could you tell me what size your tires front and rear are? I'm trying to find out what the factory size for my quad is. it's the same as yours. thanks
Thanks for the reply! But do you know where a can find a schematic (exploded view) of my ATV so I can do the repair...

Also I'm wondering how sure you are of you diagnostic...Cause I have call different mechanic and I got all kind of other diag!!! I understand here that its pretty hard to be 100% sure !

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you have to replace the whole rear drive shaft?

Did you have to replace the whole rear drive shaft? My mates u-joint (the inside right rear is shot and he asked the bike shop and they said he has to buy the whole drive shaft!

·
Registered
11 Posts
whole right or whole left shaft. the u-joints are integrated to the shaft. u-joint goes, shaft goes, shaft goea, u-joint goes. but they are pieced out to the specific tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you have to replace the whole rear drive shaft?

Thanks for the reply!
Oh dear! He got a quote for the part $437.00. Wonder if you could modify the yoke to fit a universal universal? Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you can weld you can make anything. top speed is 40km so balance is not that important. I got mine from a suzuki dealer but it is not a suzuki part. aftermarket if I remember correctly. I had some quotes upwards of $500. I bought the bike for not much more than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the bike worth that much?

I don't think me mates bike is worth that much! He has been using it to kart bananas out of his patch and slashing and stuff for around 14years. It looks like its done the work to. I will have a look at possible modifications etc. Will keep you posted re the outcome! Cheers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts