ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
breather..... should you be able to blow or suck air in the hose (disconnected from the air box)
Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
With the engine running, you should feel a small amount of air coming out of the breather hose as it vents
the crankcase. If you're not, and you're blowing gaskets, your breather is blocked. If you feel tons of
air and smoke is coming out, your rings are shot.

Mad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , what is the function of the breather plate ? i'm not familiar with it . i can't blow air through the hose or suck air through it . hose has no obstructions .

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. If there is a plate in the crankcase breather system, it's to separate oil
from any crankcase air being pushed out during running. That's why, if your rings are weak, you
find oil in the mailbox. The oil gets past that separator plate.

Mad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks ...gonna tear it down this winter . No oil in the airbox , but a massive amount of air coming from the hose when running . Gonna be hard where I live to find someone to bore and fit a new piston. It has a lot of hours on it , guess its time . (5400 hours ) I don't (4 wheel) just use it on the property to drag brush and stuff.... I'm to old for that 4 wheeling stuff ( almost 3/4 of a century):D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah. If you're lucky maybe just a quick bone and new piston and rings will do it.
And you're talking to another Certified Old Fart. I retired last June. Since then I've had my
stoopid Dawg run into me and break my knee. Still recovering from that. I haven't ridden my ZX14
in 6 months

Mad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts