ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the ATV market, looking for our first ATV. We recently purchased a home with 20 acres and a TON of fell trees that need cleaning . Can anyone provide feedback on the below opportunity: Dealer has somehow received a 2002 Polaris Magnum 325 that was purchased new in 2002 and never used. WOW, what concerns should I have.... Is it the right ATV for our use and also what can go wrong with an unused ATV for 18 years. I know it has not been beaten on, that is appealing to me but what else could go wrong???

Thanks for your advise on this...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a friend that had one those and he got the belt wet and it slipped letting the engine over rev and broke the connecting rod. I don’t know that you want to be moving trees with an older Polaris. Especially one that’s on the small side by today’s standards. I don’t think their quality control was up to par back during that time. I have a 2014 Polaris and love it. If you want to stay older I would probably go with Honda or Yamaha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have another option , a 2004 polaris sportsman 700, should have enough power, 1800 miles. thoughts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Please keep in mind I’m only relaying what I have saw on these atv’s but I have another friend that has a 2004 sportsman 700. He bought it used around 2006 and has never had a problem with it. He don’t ride it a lot though but it will be plenty for what you want to do. I have a 2014 sprortsman 800 which is the same machine except with a little bigger engine and love mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
understand that you are only sharing what info you have or have heard. I really appreciate you responding and helping a new comer to the ATV community.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
22 Posts
are you using the ATVs to pull trees? or pull a trailer loaded with fallen and cut logs? Bigger displacement is probably your best bet in either case. However, if you're not going to be crossing streams, an old Honda Fourtrax 300 (pre-2000) is a relaiable workhorse and they are still everywhere to be found

1 - 8 of 8 Posts