ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bad spitter and sputter at high rpm and then it clears out going down hill but it no longer has the power to drive up hill but seeems to have lowend power , motor gets really hot like the pull cord cover will burn your leg and also the end part of the exhaust got so hot it melted a hole in the battery box it is a stock original owner 400 big bear 01 2wd hel plz

·
Registered
164 Posts
cleaned the carb plugs are white motor gets super hot
Yup, usually white spark plugs are a dead give away of a lean condition. Black plugs mean rich, you want a light caramel/brown sugar colour. Unless the bike has some mods, (larger intake or high flow exhaust) my guess is a carb gasket is bad or one of the goose necks on the carb is cracked. One or the other is letting in too much air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, usually white spark plugs are a dead give away of a lean condition. Black plugs mean rich, you want a light caramel/brown sugar colour. Unless the bike has some mods, (larger intake or high flow exhaust) my guess is a carb gasket is bad or one of the goose necks on the carb is cracked. One or the other is letting in too much air.
i had a snorkle on it thinking i burnt the exhaust valve

·
Registered
164 Posts
snorkels usually make a bike run rich, they restrict air flow. did you re-jet the carb for the snorkels? if so removing the snorkels without jetting back the carb would make the bike run lean. running rich, if for a while, would carbon up the valves inside the motor. if the valve is not closing properly, this could account for the loss of power but i'm not sure if it would make the motor run so hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
snorkels usually make a bike run rich, they restrict air flow. did you re-jet the carb for the snorkels? if so removing the snorkels without jetting back the carb would make the bike run lean. running rich, if for a while, would carbon up the valves inside the motor. if the valve is not closing properly, this could account for the loss of power but i'm not sure if it would make the motor run so hot.
never jetted it and maybe i need to clean my valves ? and id say that un burned fuel is getting in the exhaust and heating that up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try to consider re jetting you carbs and replace your spark plug, installing a snorkel will surely affect its intake turbulence w/c will lead to running rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts