ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks Reading through some of this forum, it’s obvious there’s an incredible amount of knowledge & experience.
I need a little advice. My new hunt lease is wet & muddy, so I’m thinking of a used ATV to get around. Ridden a Yamaha a few years back. Was a Honda mechanic half century ago. Over 70, so dependability, mud traction (clearance) & ride comfort are more important than speed & power. Trying to stay @$3K. For something I’d use a month a year and don’t need to impress anyone with. Mid size? Not wanting to start a Chevy vs Ford debate, but there seems to be a thousand of them for sale, 20 makers, each with 20 models. Very confusing. Any thoughts or guidance appreciated.
thanks,
Greg in N. FL..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Look for a 10-15 year old Honda Foreman or Rancher. Make sure it’s 4x4. Good thing about a Honda is that if you could work on them 50 years ago you can work on them now. They haven't changed much. You’ll need some aggressive tires and a winch. I hunt in the swamps of central Alabama and they will get stuck. You’ll be surprised how much you use them other than just during hunting season. Trimming roads, filling feeders, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RDC. Appreciate your taking the time. How important in wet riding is IRS, power steering? Good to hear the old Honda reliability is still present. Is the foreman/rancher considered a mid size?
regards,
Greg

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your welcome. IRS is going to give you more clearance in the rear axel. Just about every time I have got stuck it’s from bottoming out in ruts. I used to think power steering was just something that would break and need repaired but then my son got a Can Am outlander with PS and it’s nice. Especially when running big tires in thick mud. I have a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 800 for hunting and I really like it but if I wanted a atv that I can take out one time a year it’s a Honda because I also still have a 1986 TRX250 that I still use. The rancher would be considered more mid size.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your welcome. IRS is going to give you more clearance in the rear axel. Just about every time I have got stuck it’s from bottoming out in ruts. I used to think power steering was just something that would break and need repaired but then my son got a Can Am outlander with PS and it’s nice. Especially when running big tires in thick mud. I have a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 800 for hunting and I really like it but if I wanted a atv that I can take out one time a year it’s a Honda because I also still have a 1986 TRX250 that I still use. The rancher would be considered more mid size.
Thanks again for your advice RDC, Which I took. Found a 2014 rancher 420 4x4 with 200hrs at a good price. All the goodies. Think I’ll enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts