ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could some tell me what it would take for me to be able to run 26's on my 2004 rancher AT.I still have the stock 24's on it yet but looking to change, was thinking of putting ITP mudlite xl on it ,anyone have any other suggestions? thanks for your input

·
Banned
377 Posts
Rancher...

Imo...running 26's on a 2004 rancher AT.I will bog it down too much in mud because the quad lacks low end.
Rancher's are Tough quads though. The tires will still spin, but Your engine Rpm wont climb.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
He already has stock.
Right, I would just stay in the stock size tire rim combo but upgrade the tire as far as tread. I found out the hard way on a Yamaha bigbear350. I went up a size and it just killed the power and I broke the front axle. I like to keep things reliable.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Right, I would just stay in the stock size tire rim combo but upgrade the tire as far as tread. I found out the hard way on a Yamaha bigbear350. I went up a size and it just killed the power and I broke the front axle. I like to keep things reliable.
Got ya. reliable is the best way. +1" on the tire looses 5mph. At low torque thats allot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i appreciate all the input,maybe I should have also stated that I don't use my rancher alot in big mud areas(which I know is alot of fun) mostly used for plowing snow,hunting and some trails.I really wanted to go with the mudlite XL tires,I love the deep tread on those compared to the regular mudlite tire,1 concern was bogging the engine.you guys think it would effect the quad performance wise in snow compared to mud? thanks:

·
Banned
377 Posts
meats...

Imo...Change em. Maybe afterward you could do power upgrades to the engine if it slows down too much. Mudlites are good tires.

Things To Consideration When Upgrading Tires:
Looking back, I really didn’t really understand all the effects of changing tires. I felt that I just needed a tough tire with good traction, so I thought! Fortunately, the ITP Big Foot package worked out, but not without some surprises along the way. Here’s how the transition went...

The Unpleasant Surprises!:(

1… The new tires were 6 ply, very stiff and gave a much harsher ride and made steering more difficult at slow speeds.

2… The tires were larger and heavier which changed the gear ratio, making me downshift more and lose horsepower.

3… These wider tires, with more aggressive tread, threw much more dirt, mud, and snow on the bike and me than the stock tires did.

4… The harsh ride and strain on the rear axle made it necessary to replace and upgrade that axle.

The Pleasant Surprises!:)

1… Better traction than expected. These ATV tires seemed to be able to go most anywhere, except in deep, soft sand.

2… A one inch gain in clearance with these taller tires really made a difference in clearing obstacles without affecting riding balance.

3… No more tread punctures or sidewall tears, even from the sharpest rocks. I got a small rock caught between the bead and rim, lost all the air and was still able to ride 10 miles back home without tire damage.

4… Longer wear from these tougher tires. They will probably lose bead tension and leak before the tread wears out.

Lessons learned… Don’t just go out and buy ATV tires without thoroughly assessing your needs. Ask yourself, do I really need new or better tires? If so, do your homework and consider the following…

·
Banned
377 Posts
Don't ever listen to that idiot TomGod he is a *** big mouth...bann him before it opens more:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts