ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone first time using forums for help. I have a 1986 Honda 200sx with no spark. I got it on a trade from a guy and he told me that he replaced the ignition coil and spark plug but still no spark. When I got it I replaced the pulse generator and bought another ignition coil just in case and still no spark. What am I missing? Please help greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cdi unit, and wiring is what's left. Unless it's an ac cdi unit, in which case the stator.

Check the pulse is getting right to the cdi unit, and that the twelve volt, or ac from the stator, is getting all the way.. check at the cdi for the pulse and 12v or ac, or use an ohm gauge from one end of each wire to the other end.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well not necessarily.. it might be only one wire that's broken, and they mostly break right where they go into their terminal.. So easy to find and fix.

If you don't have one already, get yourself a cheap multimeter, which will have an ohm gauge in it. The ohm gauge uses the gauge's battery to send power down the wire and checks if there is a good connection or not. You just put one lead on one end of a wire, and the other lead on the other end of the wire, and it should show a low ohm reading. You can also use the voltage setting to check there is power, or a pulse of power at least, getting right to the cdi at it's plug.

Other than using a gauge, you could inspect the wiring for chafed insulation, and gently wriggle each wire at it's end where it goes into it's plug/terminal. If the wire is broken you'll feel it's real flexible because it's only the plastic insulation you are bending, not the wire.

That's the way mechanics do it, rather than taking guesses and throwing parts that aren't needed.. Customers don't like that !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts