ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my atv (2004 Polaris sportsman 700) is no longer making a charge.. the atv has spiraled downwards in the last 8-12 months.. about 7.5 months ago the alternator (?) stopped working completely so it was hauled in to the backyard and left there..

Yesterday i hauled it out through three feet of snow with my brothers 500 H.O and hooked it up to my Astro van and boosted it.. Normally when i did this before from having it sit so long.. the battery would suck some charge up and run for 10-15 mins by itelf.. poured some fresh gas down the carb and she fired after a few cranks.. ran pretty rough and would completely bog down after 3500 RPM and more than half throttle.. SOO I poured a very large dose of auto trans fluid to make it concentrated enough to act quickly :laugh:. Worked within 5 minutes.. Ran like a damn top! pulled easy all the way from idle to rev limiter at full throttle. (Oh amazing ATF).. so i pulled the battery from the van and strapped it to the back of my bike and ran jumper cables to the battery cables so i could rip up and down my road :)

ANYWAY.. so i know my battery is toast.. but the real question is.. the charging system.. How do these machines do it and where? is it easy enough to replace and/or fix it??

Really want to start riding my bike again.. i miss her so!

thanks in advanced!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody knows how the charging system works eh?

is it some sort of internal alternator..? run by gears rather then a belt or something???

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
The charging system you have has a stator which charges the battery but it is only really effective above a certain RPM range. So if you have a weak battery you can idle the engine for hours and won't charge the battery.
If you're not putting the battery on a trickle charger during periods of non-use you may be draining it faster than the stator is charging it.

Alternatively, you could have a fried regulator/rectifier which means no charging at all.I'm not sure on the test for the individual parts but getting a good service manual is a good start.Official 2004 Polaris Sportsman 600/700 Twin Factory Service Manual 9918803 RepairManual.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
is the batterey a stock one.. mine is about ready for a change out too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts