ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was looking to get some feedback. I believe I am going to buy a new ATV in the near future, and have not been having good luck with the one I currently own. My question is: in your opinion, what wheeler would you most recommend for trail riding? Looking at utility wheelers, as there are certain muddy spots that I will appreciate having 4x4, and I will probably occasionally go through some mud for fun. The traits I am looking for go in this order:
1. Reliability
2. Power
3. Handling
I'm sure by now most ATVs have adequate handling for trails, so that is not one of my topmost concerns..I'd like enough power to keep up with friends on trails, probably no more than 55-60 at top speed.

I understand these are all opinions, and I appreciate every comment. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
King Quad 500. Although their are good deals on 750's as well, and even though you have the bigger motor, doesn't mean you have to drive 70mph. Suzuki is doing the 0% financing again too. Although, most ATV's have some sort of special deal going on now with low financing.

After that, I think, I'd look at the Honda Foreman.

Two years ago I went looking around and test drove several of the ATVs. I was specifically looking at the ones in the 500cc range.

I started out with the idea that I was probably going to buy a Honda. I've always liked Honda products for their reliability and general ergonomics.

I ended up getting the Suzuki King Quad 500 for a couple of reasons. I really did not like the way the reverse worked on the other machines. Honda in particular, you had to hold a lever and then press a button or something like that. It was too complicated for something I wanted to be able to snow-plow with.

My sister has a Honda, slightly smaller than the KQ500, but it is a pretty decent machine. It got places that surprised me.

I did look at the Arctic Cats, but ergonomically they were terrible. Their racer quads were nice, but I just felt uncomfortable sitting on any of the utility quads they offered.

Best ergonomics is probably the Can-Ams, however, my issue with them is weight. Generally 80-120 lbs more than other ATVs in the same class. The motors are nice though, Nice sounding twins that have good power. But reading online I heard horror stories about the transmissions not being all that tough.

If you are looking at used, IMHO the NADA guide is out of date. One example was a guy trying to sell a 2007 Polaris for $4200, NADA listed it for $3800, but the same thing brand new is selling for $6200. 2007 vs 2016 and only $2000 difference? No thanks. Maybe a 2011-12 for that price point, but not for a machine that is already 10 years old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go with a utility class 4x4 in the 600-700cc range. Most...if not all...are now fuel injected, and most have power steering, which make them ideal for adding larger tires without taxing the engine. Power steering especially comes into play on the ride back to the house/farm/truck/trailer when youre tired. Look for a 5-6 year old 700cc Yamaha Grizzly or 700cc Arctic Cat...better yet if you want to take your girlfriend along, Arctic Cat makes a TRV (two-rider) model that still handles the trails just as good as a 1-up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts